Dinner

It was the weekend after their date and Pony and Y/N were inseparable. Throughout the week the first thing Ponyboy would do when he got home from school is find Y/N and hang around with her, but now he didn't have to make up an excuse. Pony hadn't officially asked Y/N to be his girl, but themselves and everyone around them knew it.

Things started to get back to normal, and Y/N's parents were expected home soon, so she would have to start sleeping at her own house. She was worried about being on her own, but really looked forward to having a bed again. The boys were so nice letting her stay, but their couch isn't very comfortable.

It was Sunday and mostly everyone was hanging around at the Curtis place. Darry had gotten the day off, but Steve and Soda were working at the DX. Whilst Y/N sat watching TV, Dally took the opportunity to take Darry to one side.

"Hey man, I know we don't talk about him in front of Y/N, but I got a feeling he's up to something. I saw Curly and that chick Pony brought home, what's her name? Norma or something? Anyway man, I saw them the other night at BUCKS. They were with Tim and Angela. Once they saw me they split, but Buck said they were chatting 'bout Y/N. Curly was calling her a liar and a slut.. I dunno man, if Tim believed him.. it could get ugly."

"I didn't realise Tim was outta jail." Darry responded.

"Me either man, he's keeping it quiet, makes me even more worried, like he's planning something. I mean.." Dally motioned for Darry to come closer, so no one else in the gang would hear their conversation.

"D'you remember when Curly and Wade Parker got into a fight over that game of pool? Curly conned him outta 100 bucks, anyway, Wade went round telling everyone that Curly cheated, well as soon as Curly went to Tim, Wade ain't been seen since. They said he bolted to Texas, but man, that guy wouldn't have ditched. Tim sent him to the hospital man, he couldn't deal with someone spreading lies about his little brother even if they were true." Darry folded his arms in concern.

"Think about it Darry, Tim done that over a game of pool. If he thinks Y/N's lying about what Curly did, he's gonna shut her up any way he can."

"He won't get to her. Me and you will make sure of that." Darry patted him on the shoulder and made his way back to gang to watch TV.

He didn't show it, but he was concerned. He knew how to handle Tim, but not when it came to his little brother. He knew what it was like being the eldest, Darry would do anything to protect Pony and Sodapop. But Y/N was like a little sister to him, and he knew things were gonna get ugly.

Y/N went to the bathroom, so Darry quickly told those that were there what Dally had said.

"Don't let her know, we ain't gonna let anything happen to her, so she doesn't need to worry." They were all interrupted by a knock at the door. Darry got up to open it and was surprised to see who was standing in front of him.

"Mrs L/N, you're back!"

"Hello Darry, how're you?" Darry invited her in and she said hello to all of them. She had only met the rest of the gang a handful of times, but she was always polite and kind to strangers.

"Is Y/N here, she isn't at home and it hasn't looked like she's been there all week! The place is spotless and there's no food in the house."

"Oh yeah Mrs L/N, Y/N didn't want to be home all alone, so we invited her to stay here with us. She's in the bathroom at the moment."

"Bless you, Ponyboy. You're always so sweet." She got out her purse, ready to offer the boys some money, when Y/N came running out of the bathroom.

"Mom? I thought I heard your voice!" Y/N ran up to her and gave her a huge hug. She rarely hugged her mom, she barely had the opportunity. But after the week Y/N had had, she just wanted the familiar warmth and smell of her mom.

"Okay okay sweetheart, it's only been a couple of weeks!"

"I know mom, I just missed you." They pulled apart and Y/N smiled brightly.

"We missed you too. You can stay here with the Curtis boys until later, but me and your father want to sit down and have a lovely meal with you tonight, so make sure you're back by 7."

She kissed her daughter's forehead, said goodbye and left to unpack.

"Are you gonna be alright sleeping there tonight? Do you want me to go with you?" Ponyboy tried to invite himself over without making Y/N suspicious. He wanted to be there to protect her, in case anything happens, but he couldn't tell her this. It would worry her.

"I'll be fine, thanks Pony. It'll be nice spending time with them. I feel like I haven't properly in years."

It was technically true. It had been years since their family sat down for dinner, or sat down for anything for that matter. She was really looking forwards to it. Y/N felt happy. She and Pony were doing great, her parents actually wanted to be in her life, and as far as she was concerned, the Curly situation had blown over and she was finally starting to recover..