Veta

Ponyboy retreated to the living room joining the others whilst Y/N finished cleaning. There was still plenty to do but faint laughter and fighting from the next room suggested the boys were ready to go. 

Sodapop appeared next to Y/N, startling her a little.

"Don't worry, I'll finish this. Go enjoy some time with the guys".  He flashed her a sympathetic smile and continued "and some time with Ponyboy". 

"What dyou mean?" Y/N questioned.  She froze as Soda have her a knowing look.  She didn't understand what he could mean, she always spent time with Ponyboy, she has been to the drive in with him before, why did it feel like tonight was a big deal? Y/N jokingly shook her head, said her thanks and joined the gang. Maybe ignoring the comment was the best solution for now. 

"Y/N is gonna come along tonight" Ponyboy announced just before she had joined them.

Dally exclaimed his opinion "Nothing like a stuck up broad to bring life to the party".

Ponyboy stayed quiet, he wanted desperately to stick up for her, but nobody talked back to Dally. Except Johnny

"Oh c'mon Dal, she's not stuck up she's just shy"

Ponyboy seemed almost relieved and most definitely thankful for Johnny's intervention, he shared a smile whilst Johnny continued "and besides, Pony likes her."

"Little Ponyboy has a crush? ON Y/N??? no way!" With great comical timing Two-bit jumped from his spot on the floor and brought Pony into a tight headlock.

"Get off Two! I never said that, were just friends". Ponyboy continued to defend himself but Two-bit had stopped listening, he convinced the others to get involved and an intense play fight broke out. 

During the commotion Y/N appeared, instantly smiling at what was going on.  Even though she hadn't spent much time with the boys, she enjoyed seeing them happy. 

"Are u guys ready?" she asked.  Everyone collected themselves from the floor and hurriedly made their way outside. 

Herself and Ponyboy stayed towards the back as the others walked out in front.  Neither of them spoke on the way there, they just enjoyed being in each others company. Making their way under a fence they all made it into the drive in, being careful not to draw attention, each member of the gang took a seat towards the back of the chairs provided. 

Two-bit started drinking almost immediately. Johnny and Ponyboy stared intently at the screen, out of everyone they were the two who were most intrigued by the picture being shown.  Pretty soon Two-bit and Dally started trouble. Dally enjoyed teasing the richer girls, the socials or socs as the gang called them.  Y/N didn't think about them enough to use a name.  She only spoke to those on her side of town, the greasers.

Within a matter of minutes a fight had broken out, some of the soc boyfriends didn't take kindly to Dally or Two-bit's boisterous nature.  Y/N moved backwards and out of the way, she didn't like confrontation.  Ponyboy and Johnny stayed back too but they were ready to jump in if needed.  The fight broke away almost as quick as it started and each party went on their respective ways. 

"Are you okay, Y/N?" Ponyboy couldn't hide his concern despite Y/N not being anywhere near the commotion.  She simply nodded her head and inspected the others for injuries.  Y/N had a motherly nature learnt from Mrs Curtis. 

"Man, I don't feel like watching a movie nomore" said Johnny, out of breath from fear. 

He had been involved with the socs before, a few months after Mr and Mrs Curtis's death. Johnny and Ponyboy got under the skin of some south side boys, Johnny had a blade on him and as things got heated he stabbed a drunk Bob right before they were about to drown Ponyboy.  Both boys had to run away and ended up hiding out in an abandoned church for a week.  Darry and Soda were wrecks without Ponyboy.  Darry had had to grow up an awful lot in the previous months and his attitude caused friction between all three brothers.  A fire broke out at the church whilst children were exploring, Johnny and Ponyboy risked their lives to save them, along with an angry Dally who had come to visit. After that incident the brothers mended any troubles and the gang became a lot closer.  Johnny got some serious burns on his body, but this helped him gain some perspective and even allowed him to stand up to his abusive parents.  Johnny still lives at home with his mother, but his father left after the church fire.  He was found not guilty of murder and homelife for him became much more tolerable. 

The greaser and the socs had a rumble after that, but soon after life was back to normal.  The south side socs were still rich and the greasers were still white trash with long greasy hair. 

Remembering all of this, Johnny didn't want to stay around the drive in.  Two-bit left with him, saying he'd had too much excitement for one night and just wanted to sleep.  Dally had already made his way out of the drive in, he rarely stays long after a fight, he'll take any head start on the cops he can get. 

"So what dyou wonna do now?" Y/N asked Ponyboy.  Neither of them wanted to go home, they enjoyed just being in each others company. 

"You wonna go to the lot?, It's getting pretty late, Darry will want me home soon so we should start heading that way anyway.."

"Sure, it is getting late."

They both lazily made their way back, not feeling rushed despite their curfew closing in.  With each step Y/N would carefully lean closer to Pony with him doing the same. They continued this until they reached the lot, participating in small talk and playfully dancing with their steps.

With huge sighs Ponyboy and Y/N fell onto the abandoned couch and looked up to the stars. Ponyboy spurted some facts he had learnt recently.

"That star there is called Veta. It's the fourth brightest star in the sky."

"fifth brightest..." Y/N smiled as she looked over, Ponyboy hadn't realised they had been reading the same book whist studying at the kitchen table the other day. 

He smiled as he watched the smirk grow on her face. In that moment they had never been closer.