Chapter Nineteen

APRIL'S POV

I walked around the corner of my school building to see Luna standing at her locker, looking at her nails, 'Hey. Why aren't you on your phone? You're always on your phone' I ask, hugging her.

'Oh um. I left it at home' she bluntly lies.

I roll my eyes but both chuckle. We both know that she got it taken away the moment she walked through the school doors. 

I unlock my locker and lift my heavy bag into it, unzipping it to get my books out and laptop out for the next 2 classes. 'So you wanna come over tonight for study? Kim and Emma are coming for pizza so you can come' Luna offers and I nod.

'Yeah that's sounds good. I'll check with my parents but I'm sure they'll be chill about it. So, you got really close to Kim and Emma?' I ask and she nods.

'Yeah. You know how it's always been just us two...When you went away they invited me places which was nice'

'Yeah, that's good. It have you someone to hangout with while I was gone I guess' I agree and she nods before we start to walk to home room when Lizzy and Indiana walked around the corner and as if they were looking for me, they instantly started talking. 

'Oh my god! It's Ruel's girlfriend! Can I have a picture?' Lizzy gushes

'Luna, are you jealous? April stole your man' Indiana turns to Luna but I quickly stand up for my best friend. 

'1. I'm not dating Ruel and 2. Why are you still here?' 

They roll their eyes and walk between Luna and I, making me drop my pencil case on the floor.

'See what I mean? They've been giving me a hard time ever since photos were leaked. Are you guys dating or not?' Luna asks, helping me pick up things.

'Can I explain later? I don't want everyone hearing' she nods as we continue to homeroom.

'Miss? May I be excused?' I ask before she nods and I walk into the bathroom to FaceTime Ruel.

He had been non-stop calling me for the past 5 minutes so I plugged in my headphones and he picks up in tears

'Baby, what's wrong?' I ask in panic.

'I don't know. I just. Started crying about missing you and then I started crying in general and now I can't breathe because I'm so fucking nervous about the show. I just don't-' he rambles but I quickly cut him off.

'Ruel, just breathe for me ok? I have the amount of time it takes for someone to take a shit so I'm going to be a quick. Everyone that has bought tickets to your show, wants to be there. They want to see you. You are the most talented person I know and when this sort of thing happens you just need to breath. You started crying because you missed me and that's still the only thing your crying about. I miss you too but you start overthinking everything. Your show is going to fine'

'You know your perfect right?' he mumbles, his breaths also slowing down.

'Stop. I have to go back to class but I'm gonna miss you'

'OK. I miss you too' I smile goodbye and hang up before going back into class. 

For the whole day, I stared out the window, my heart breaking over again when remembering his face when he picked up the phone. I had never seen him that like before and it crushed me that I wasn't there with him to reassure him in person. Over the phone, it wasn't the same. 

I sat at Luna's dining table with biology textbooks out, music playing in the background from Kim's phone. Luna places a plate of cookies in the middle and we all grab one, the plate soon being empty.

'What did you write for 5, April?' Kim asks and my eyes flick to that question.

'I wrote something about the alleles and the physical traits'

'OK, cool' she responds and Emma puts her pen down.

'Are we gonna ignore the giant elephant in the room?' she asks.

Shit. Here we go

'Uhh, what?' I mumble and Emma breaks into a smile.

'Luna's new haircut!' Emma says and we all chuckle because we were all thinking the same thing. 'No seriously April. I have to ask what's going on with Ruel'

'If I tell you, nothing leaves this house. Ok?' I ask and they all nod. 

'Yeah, of course!' Kim says, putting her music on pause.

'He asked me out...' they all awe and Luna squeals.

'That's so cute. You said yes right?' Luna asks and I roll my eyes.

'Yeah, duh'

We all laugh, continuing to talk about how he asked me as well as what went on during the tour. 

It was kind of nice to know that those 3 knew what was going on...I wonder if Ruel had told many people...