Chapter Twenty Eight

APRIL'S POV

I knew I was bound to see him here, but not within the first 5 minutes of the party. I turn around to see his gorgeous face, which hadn't changed a bit since you left, 'Hey...'

'W-What are you doing here?' he asked. What a great question to start off this awkward conversation.

'Can we talk outside?' I look to the empty backyard and he nods as I follow him outside. 

He takes his shoes off and we sit on the edge of the spa, our feet hanging into the warm water. 'How are you?' he asked and I sighed

'You want an update or a one-word answer?'

'A little bit of an update. But don't go on a rant like you used to' we both crack smiles at the ground before I explain why I was in Sydney, at this party.

'Um. Shit. I don't even know where to start' I mumble 

'April, relax. It's just me' I look up at him when he says my name and our eyes instantly connect as my heart flutters. 

I sighed. He was right, it was just Ruel. 'My parents got divorced...Mum moved up here with me and my dad stayed in Melbourne with my brother'

'Wait, seriously? You guys got split up? Are you allowed to go back down to see them?' he seems shocked but I don't react. I guess I was used to it at this point.

'I'm pretty sure my dad and my brother would love to see me but it's all up to my mum. She has custody of me so if she doesn't want me to see my dad, then I can't'

'I'm so sorry April. I wish I knew' Ruel says and I shrug.

'You couldn't have done anything to help.' I mumble again and I hear him sigh.

'I guess...So, how did you end up at Sunday's?'

'She saw me on the beach walking Lily and invited me...I don't know why considering she knew we broke up.' I shrugged but he runs his tongue over this bottom lip.

'Yeah, I kind of told my group of friends' he admits and I nod

'I'm not mad at you about it, I did the same but yeah...'

'So how are you? ... About...' his voice trails off and I nod.

'I'm...doing good. Trust me, I feel like moving to Sydney is the best thing for me. Getting away from every moment and every place reminding me of Luna. It's good'

'Yeah, I'm glad you're here,' I smile at his little confession.

'Same. Even though I literally shut off every way of communication with you, it didn't stop me from checking your profile and tagged posts. I just...couldn't get you out of my head. It pissed me off at first but I just learnt that I still loved you. I still do-'

'Wait. Really?' I slowly nod as his eyebrows slightly raise and he smiles

'I- I'm not saying this because you did but um...I still love you too' he admits and I shake my head.

'Nah, you're lying.'

'No I'm not' he defends but I shake my head.

'Yes, you are. Why would you still love me after I broke your heart?' I ask and he shrugs.

'If I didn't love you would I do this' he crashes his lips into mine suddenly but  I instantly felt warm, melting into the kiss and then you finally pull away.

'Well that changes things' he mumbles 

'Does it?'

'April, I still want to be with you. Very much. Life's just easier with you. It's better and more fun. I'm happier with you and everyone knows it.' I open my mouth to respond when everyone comes outside in a rush to countdown for the final seconds of 2019.

'5, 4, 3, 2...'

I make eye contact with him as we both lean in as everyone cheers & fireworks go off above us. What a good way to start 2020. 

Our lips meet in middle and I felt as if it was just Ruel and I. I pull away with a smile and he interlocks my hand with his as I rest my head on his shoulder while we watch the fireworks above us. 

After watching the fireworks Ruel kisses my head and I look up at him, 'You wanna spend the night at my place?' he asks and I nod.

'Yeah, sure. I'll just go grab my stuff from Sunday's room, it's all in there' he nods as I walk away into Sunday's house with Sunday talking to me