Chapter Twenty One

RUEL'S POV

'We all came to surprise Ruel! I'm guessing you did the same thing' Mary chuckles but I look at Apirl who wasn't finding it funn.y 

Not mad or sad, almost jealous. 'Yeah, well. Considering that I'm his girlfriend, why wouldn't I see him on his birthday?' 

I don't regret telling April about my history with Mary and what Sunday told me at the party because at first, she didn't seem too bothered by it but now she seemed more bothered by it than usual.

'G- Girlfriend?' Mary stutters out 

'Yeah. Girlfriend. Dating. Official' April grabs my hand and our fingers interlock as I roll my eyes but kiss her on the head. 

She was cute when she was protective

'Oh my god! Congratulations! That's so cute' Sunday gushes 

'How long?' Dane asks

'Since the 12th. Nearly 3 weeks' I explain and Sunday puts her hands over her heart.

'Aww. Bless'

'Mmh yeah, well. See you tonight Ruel' Mary says before I smile at everyone and take the presents and shutting the door. 

April immediately snaps, 'What the fuck is she doing here?'

'I don't know! Don't get mad at me! I didn't even know any of them were coming' I defend and she sighs.

'I'm taking a shower'

'Want me to join you?' she closes the door, ignoring my joke. 

She was definitely upset. Usually, she would joke back and say yes but I would end up being locked out of the bathroom anyways.

I sat on the bed and started to open Sundays gift; a tee shirt with Tyler the creators new album cover on the back. I threw it into my suitcase and then continued to open Danes and Robs present. A new keychain for my keys, a new wallet with some cool pins and a new white phone case. I replaced my old dusted and scratched one with the new shiny white case and put it on the bed. 

I started to open Marys gift as April came out of the bathroom with a towel on her head, coincidence. She picks up my phone as she notices the new case, 'Who got you the phone case?'

'Uhh, Dane and Rob' I respond

'It's nice. Better than your old one that's gross. Who's present is this?' she asks and I press my lips into a line.

'Um, Mary'

'This will be fun' As soon as I thought she would be in a good mood, she sits next to me on the bed and watches me unfold the Frank Ocean tour merch that I missed out on and then I pulled out a thick, heavy card. 

I tore open the envelope as April's eyes darted between myself and the envelope and I soon realise why it was so heavy. I open the card to many pictures of Mary and I from way back to even when we were dating. 

I look up to April's eyes filling up with tears and before I could say anything she leaves and goes into the bathroom. I threw the pictures of Mary into the bin before walking over to the bathroom door. But of course, it was locked 'Come on April. Open up'

'Go away Ruel' I hear her mumble.

'I'm not leaving. Mary is nothing to me April. You know that. Why are you so upset about this? You're my girlfriend, remember?' I remind her

'Why can't you just leave me to cry?' she says and I spit out my next words without thinking.

'Because I love you and I'm not letting you go to bed upset'

April pulls open the door suddently and I fall back onto the tiles as I was leaning on the door with my whole body weight.

 I stand up and shake the water out of my hair. I look at her beautiful bare face, her eyes red from crying. 'You what?'

'I love you April'

She breaks into a smile and blushes at the ground. It was so cute how she still got flustered around me, because I did the same around her. She steps forward and wraps her arms around my neck, 'Really?' she asks in reassurance

'April, I've loved you since I asked you out, you dummy' I responded honestly before sharing a long and awaited kiss.

We lay on the bed, watching Netflix on my laptop when we hear another knock on the door. 'I swear if that's another one of your ex-girlfriends that still has feelings for you, I'm going back to Melbourne' April jokes and I smile.

'Yeah, I'll join you'  I say before getting up and opening the door to Nate.

'Hey mate. We're gonna head to soundcheck. Wanna come April?' I turn around and she smiles and nods before closing her laptop and joining us.

Soundcheck went like usual. Sang some odd songs, invited April on stage and then Nate yelled at us. 

The usual. 

I sat on the edge of the couch before meet and greet talking with April, 'I've seen all the fan projects on Instagram' I say, looking on Instagram.

'Oh yeah. They're always on my explore page. All your fans are the actual sweetest' she agrees and I nod.

'Yeah, I love them. But now it's time to meet them' I get up and she sighs.

'Ok, I'll be in the green room'

I give her a peck on the lips before she walks out of the room and I sit on the couch waiting for meet and greet to start.