Chapter 37: Suspicious

❀Azalea❀

❀Azalea❀

"I want to know about your dad," I start off and he nods slowly. I plop my booty cheeks on the couch, turning toward him, and giving him my full attention. He tilts his head only slightly, never taking his eyes off of me.

"He never had anything to do with me," he starts and I grow sad, "I lived in the house 'till I was seventeen, you know that."

I give him a small nod.

"I had to raise myself. Couldn't talk to him. Didn't eat with him. I hardly ever saw him. So I spent most of my time doing other things like basketball. I think I was so good because all I did was practice and anything else I could to keep from going to that house," he explains.

I know what that's like.

I feel my bottom lip wiggle and I grab a couch pillow and shove it over my face.

"Azalea, stop," he wraps his arm around my waist and pulls me to him. He removes the pillow from my face and he wipes my damp cheeks.

He was all alone for so long. And he had to raise himself.

"It's over. It's nothing, okay? You went through way worse shit, I'm fine," he runs his hand down the surface of my back. I wrap my arms around his neck and hug onto him tightly.

"So I moved out," he continues, still letting me cling onto him.

"That was the best decision I've ever made," he kisses the side of my neck.

"I got into this training program after I turned down going to Kentucky and that's what started this all. I already had a two-year college degree from high school, which was something I knew would keep me busy and not paying attention to things at that house. I needed that in the program so I was lucky."

"I went right from the training facility, straight to D.C. In D.C they did all sorts of shit, training, physical evaluations, mental evaluations, and every type of background checking they could possibly do on me."

"They wanted someone young enough to grow with the start of the FAA so they offered to give me permission to start it and I did."

"And when it came to getting the guys, every two months I would get files of each of the people in training and then I had to report back to D.C to pick a single person out of a group of thirty to be apart of this with me."

"You voluntarily chose Theo?" I laugh into his arm. Poor Theo has such a hard time sometimes.

"Those thirty guys I had to choose him from were a rotten batch, he was the best chance I had," he shakes his head.