FOUR.

━ END OF THE EARTHiv

END OF THE EARTH
iv. the williest willer to ever will
┈┈┈┈┈┈┈୨♡୧┈┈┈┈┈┈┈

      HAROLD 'HAL' JORDAN IS A LOT OF THINGS TO A LOT OF PEOPLE. To several aliens, he's a hero, a protector, a saviour. To the Guardians of the Universe, he's the greatest Green Lantern. To Batman, he's a pain in the ass and source of his latest migraine. He holds numerous roles, each and every one of them shifting from planet to planet, person to person, never quite the same.

       For Freya Anastas, Hal Jordan is the man that saved her. When her parents kicked her out onto the streets, he was the one that found her, that gave her hope. When she had panic attacks over her ring, worried it would take control and leave nothing of Freya left, he was the one that calmed her down. She owes him more than she can ever put into the words and never once has he acted like it.

      She likes it, spending time with somebody who gets it. All the other Titans, they have responsibilities too... but not quite to this extent. Freya has to protect the universe from something called the Blackest Night ━ something she doesn't know at all.

       As far as she knows, there have been two people with the information she needs. The first, Abin Sur, died, his ring flying off to a local test pilot and dragging him into the world of intergalactic battles and space monsters and, honestly? Freya thinks the ring chose well.

      The second isn't dead, but isn't exactly chatty either. Abin Sur went to Atrocitus about the Blackest Night (and died in the process) and somehow, she doesn't imagine her conversation going any better and she really doesn't want to die before she turns eighteen. Like, she's already planning a killer party and being dead would get in the way of that...

       Anyway. Back to Hal Jordan and the ice cream sitting in front of her. (Because Hal's the best mentor and he takes her out for ice cream every time he comes to visit ━ Batman could never).

       "What's on your mind, kid?"

       Now this is the part of Hal that she hates; how easy he can read her. He's been here, what, one hour, and he's already picked up on her nervousness. It's a little uncanny, if she's being honest.

       "Nothing's on my mind", she grumps.

       "Usually I'd agree with that ━" He raises his hands in defence at her glare. "━ but it's obvious something's bothering you."

        "Can't a girl be grouchy for no reason?"

        "Well, yeah, but you obviously have a reason."

        She glowers, stabbing her spoon into the ice cream with vigour. "I just ━ I think I have a crush... and with the ring and the Star Sapphire, I'm just worried."