SIX.

━ END OF THE EARTHvi

END OF THE EARTH
vi. twisted affection
┈┈┈┈┈┈┈୨♡୧┈┈┈┈┈┈┈

     THERE'S SOMETHING UP WITH TARA MARKOV. This is Freya's first thought when she walks back into Titans Tower after spending the day with her mentor and what she says to the first person she sees ━ who just so happens to be the team's resident empath.

     "You've noticed it too", she intones. "I thought I was misreading things."

     Freya shakes her head, her arms crossed. "You're not. Look at her ━ she's nervous as hell right now and there's this... God, I don't even know! It's like, like somebody twisted affection... like it's broken."

    She lets out a frustrated sigh, twisting the ring on her finger. "But I don't know. I'm, uh, a little lost, at what this ring can do. It could be influencing me..."

     Raven nods, as if she gets it, which is insane. Freya likes Raven, sure, trusts her out in the field, but she never expected her to understand her. They're polar opposites, with Raven having to shut herself off from emotions, and Freya having to hang onto them for dear life. There shouldn't be common ground, and yet...

     "I assumed it was my father", Raven says, "trying to make me distrust her. Another one of his tricks, I suppose."

     "Which means we don't really know", Freya huffs. "Fantastic."

     "I'm almost certain we're correct."

     "I don't wanna cause a scene over an almost."

     "What would you rather do?"

     She pauses. "I'll try talking to her. Maybe then, I'll be able to figure things out."

     "If you're certain..." 

     "I am", she says firmly, her tone softening as she continues, "but you should go talk to Wally. I mean, after Tamaran ━"

     "Nothing happened on Tamaran", Raven glowers.

     She raises her hands in defence, biting back a smirk at Raven's now retreating figure. She won't push her in this, won't push either of them, but damn is it getting annoying, watching them dance around their feelings and never truly committing to anything as grand as a conversation.

     Sometimes, Freya feels like the most emotionally stable of the lot of them. (And that's just disturbing, to be honest).

     But, as much as she'd love to meddle, there are more important things at hand, like Tara Markov and her oddly jumpy behaviour. She's been like that since she got back from... wherever it is she went. Which is weird in and of itself, because Freya knows what everybody else was up to today. Vic's already told her all about the kids and Sarah Simm (she's totally gotta go down there someday... she'll put in her calendar) and Kory is more than happy to talk her ear off about how wonderful Dick Grayson is.