Unexpected Events

-----

Written by: Waffle-Ninja, ultimatebookworm12 , hapyhappiness , largefrenchbread, Duskstorm1 , AjexxanAlterline , and p3pp3r_

Word count: 1365

Summary: Wels and Iskall have an old grudge that needs to be settled, but things take an unexpected turn.

-----

He had thought this moment through at least a thousand times, but now that he was right in front him, he realised how woefully underprepared he really was.

Wels sighed, pulling out his sword and steadying it in his hand, flicking his hair out of his face and rolling his eyes. The night was dark and long. A storm was brewing in the distance. He'd chosen the wrong night to go out.

Why did it have to come to this? Why was his friend like this? One minute he was on a peaceful walk and the next he gets jumped. Even under the dark cloudy sky and the soon approaching assault of raindrops his cold mechanical blue eye still shone brilliantly.

Wels could feel the tension in the air from the storm - it was coming. The hair on the back of his neck prickled with the anticipation as he fiddled with his sword, a smirk pulling on his face as it glinted in the sparse light. "It's about time you showed up," he called into the darkness.

"I like to arrive fashionably late," the voice said back, the normally playful chuckle he had sounding ominous tonight. "But I'm glad to see you care."

"Cut the banter and let's go." Wels said sharply, gripping the handle of his sword more tightly.

"Alright, alright," he replied, twirling his own blade around almost playfully. "Jeez, you don't have to be so rude." His voice was nonchalant, sounding as though it was like an everyday occurrence.

Despite his calm appearance, Wels still shook slightly. He looked towards the ominous sky, as if hoping to delay the oncoming storm. He looked his opponent in the eye and lifted his sword.

Despite the the difference of motivations and absolute hatred they carried for each other, they both seemed to agree on waiting, the the fighters seemed frozen, circling each other, methodically caught forever in their endless dance.

Wels forced a laugh, frowning when it sounded abnormal. He played with his sword, watching as the light bounced off it. "I've heard you're good at PVP, or maybe that's just what I've heard from the other Hermits, so why are you challenging me?" the knight asked, his heartbeat drumming in his ears. Wels cleared his throat, swallowing thickly. "Even if it wasn't planned on my half."

"You're the one who still carries around the grudge from the Civil War," Iskall spat back. "I'm surprised I was the one who made the first move."

"It's not like I expected this to happen. You're the one who jumped me for no reason." Wels spat, choking down the fear in his voice, "I may still hold a grudge, but I don't go as far as violence like you."

Thunder rumbled in the distance, and a bright flash of light illuminated the sky for a split second, casting ghostly shadows and highlights on his opponent's face.

Wels narrowed his eyes, not replying to Iskall's previous statement, instead choosing to take a more physical approach. The first few raindrops fell from the sky. A drop landed on the bridge of his nose, dripping down his face. Wels shivered anxiously.