Code: Lunch 2.0

The pair sat at the table sharing goofy facts about themselves with each other. They'd shifted from being suspicious and digging into each other's pasts, to reminiscing on old stories together.

(Y/n) had revealed that she had won two spelling-bees in primary school, she had a stray dog that she took care while in the orphanage, and that she was somewhat a leader of a small orphan gang that would sneak out of the orphanage and explore Yokohama at night.

Dazai revealed he'd once been hit so hard by Yosano for accidentally seeing up her skirt that he then had to undergo her treatment to recover fully, he'd put a dead black snake in Kunikida's shoe once, and that he oftentimes harassed his partner when he worked in the mafia because he had 'the best reactions.'

They'd already finished their food a solid half hour ago, but now they were simply enjoying each other's company.

Currently, (Y/n) was trying to supress her laughter as he told another tale about his harassed partner, "Chūya had twenty different kids begging him to buy their ticket on the carousel that day! And he never saw the handmade flyers I put up in the park that said to find the 'dainty hat man' and he'd give them a free ride.  I even added a photo of him to make it easier for the kids to find him! Haha! He's so clueless I swear!"

(Y/n) held a hand over her mouth as she giggled out, "I can't believe you were on a mission at an amusement park for the Mafia, AND that you decided it would be a good time to mess with him! You're kinda cruel, you know?"

Dazai smiles and shrugged before saying, "Every time I was with that idiot was time to mess with him."

She just smiled and swished her whiskey around it's glass before saying, "Dazai— thank you for lunch today. It was— it was a nice change of pace for me, I forgot what hanging out with someone my age felt like."

Dazai smiles softly before taking a sip of his drink and saying, "I'd imagined being on the run from black market bounty hunters for so long would make you miss out on stuff like this."

(Y/n) stilled at his words before setting her drink down on the table again. She brought a hand to the bridge of her nose and sighed out, "So, you've had a pretty good idea about who I was, hmm?"

The brunette nodded and said, "It was a hunch, but I may or may not have confirmed my suspicions when I saw the articles you were reading last night.  Don't worry though, I can assure you the Mafia was no longer actively hunting your bounty when I left. Unfortunately, I believe the incidents from yesterday might reignite a few flames in that fossil of an organization though. Some older members may try to find you again, but we had never had a concrete clue as to who you were, Coder."

She nodded and said, "Was it only the articles, or was it something from before that which helped you connect the dots?"

"It was your words. You need to speak for your ability to work, correct? The Coder also had to speak for her ability to work. The code that made her famous was the one she used to protect a young girl from being killed.  But, that is all a ghost of the past, right?  We can change the subject if you'd like"

"Thanks...  I'd like that."

Dazai saw that she was slightly gripping the cup she'd been holding.  Her past really had to have messed her up if she'd had this sort of reaction to just the mention of her bounty.

"You're welcome. But, we should discuss the potential of the Mafia beginning their search for you again.  After all, your bounty is not claimed and it's for $4 billion.   A little over half of what Atsushi is worth right now. They may think that The Coder from five years ago is an agent with us due to her intervention yesterday.  Luckily, it will take a while for word of your interruption to spread to older members, Akutagawa despises talking about his failures."