CHAPTER 3

My mind woke up before my body did. I didn't know where I was, all I knew was that I was way too exhausted to even open my eyes. Voices made their way to my ears.

"...I don't care!"

"...actions are not needed... ... down. "

I managed to catch bits and pieces of the conversation. The more I heard, the more it became clearer .

"I will go to the board, to anyone higher if I have to! My baby sister is lying unconscious and you're telling me that you can't do anything, that you can't find whoever's responsible!"

"Sir, please calm down. The students aren't willing to speak and we can hardly suspend all of them. "

"As I said, I'll go to someone with higher authority. Or I'll just transfer my sister out of this shitty school and then write a review about it !"

"I assure you that is not necessary . We will find the people responsible and punish them accordingly."

"Adam. " I groaned.

My eyes were opened into tiny slits. We were in the nurse's office. Adam, the principal and the nurse were all looking at me with worried eyes. Adam was by my side in an instant; brushing the hair back from my face.

"How are you feeling ?" He asked.

"Okay." I mumbled. Nurse Irene stepped forward and started asking me questions, like if anywhere hurts or if I can see properly, that sort of thing .

Adam helped me sit up on bed . Principal Jenkins came closer to me.

"Can you tell us who started throwing food at you first?" He looked at me nervously, not wanting to anger Adam anymore.

I looked down, tears burned my eyes. I couldn't snitch on my brothers . They would kill me. I didn't want to lie either.

"Hey." Adam nudged me, "take your time. " he used such a gentle tone that made me want to tell him everything and sob into his arms .

No matter how much I wanted to, I was scared. Jayson and Jayden would hurt me and I'm sure they'll get Brandon to join in too . I couldn't tell.

"I don't know. " I said in a small voice. "I can't remember. "

The principal told us that he would investigate and then he left. I made a mistake by looking at Adam. All I saw was disappointment and hurt on his face . He knew I was lying .

Nurse Irene told me to go home and get some rest and if I feel dizzy or weak tomorrow, I should stay home.

The entire drive home, Adam hadn't spoken to me once. When we got home . I got out of the car and followed him inside.

"Adam. " I called his name .

"What, Lia?"

"I'm sorry. " I said . Not knowing what else to say.

"For what exactly? Lying to my face?"

"I-it' s not like that. " I pleaded; fresh tears made their way to my eyes.

"Then what? Explain to me why you are covering for the people who hurt you!" He stopped yelling and his voice softened . "If you don't tell me, I can't help you, Lia. I can't protect you."

I stayed quiet, my eyes were trained to the ground .

Adam shook his head in disappointment .

"Fine. Don't come crying to me when they hurt you again ."

With those words he stomped angrily to his office .

I sighed sadly as I tiredly went to my room. Great. The only person that loves me, hates me now . Good job, Lia.

Why do I always have to mess. Everything up? Maybe I deserve to be bullied and hated .

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

"Lia? Come on wake up." A soft voice said .

I barely cracked my eyes open. My head was stuffy and my throat ached. My body was shivering from cold. Adam looked at me with worried eyes.

"Adam." I croaked . "I'm sorry, I-i..."

"Its okay, Lia. I shouldn't have gotten angry .I'm sorry too."

I let out a breath of relief .

"Come down for dinner, okay?"

I nodded and watched him leave the room.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

I washed up and went down stairs. As usual, the twins were on one side of the table and Brandon was next to them.

Adam and I were on the other side.

" Food's almost ready. " Adam told us. He left and went to the kitchen to check on dinner .

I gave a surprised yelp when Jayson grabbed me by the collar of my shirt and pulled me closer to him. My body was roughly dragged half way across the table .

"Did you tell Adam that it was us who started it in the cafeteria ?"

I shook my head rapidly .

"Are you going to tell him?" Jayson asked in a threatening tone.

"N-no."

He smiled at me, "good." I was shoved roughly back into my seat .

Brandon was busy with his phone and Jayden took in the scene with a blank expression .

"Food's ready." Adam came out of the kitchen with our food and out in front of us.
"Lia, what's wrong? Why are you crying ?". He turned to the other three . " what did you say to her !"

"N-no, Adam. They didn't say anything . My head hurts really bad. Can I just go upstairs ? I'll eat in the morning."

"I don't like you skipping meals, Lia."

"Please, Adam. As soon as I wake up I'll eat something ." I pleaded softly.

"Fine. Take some painkillers and go to sleep. If you're hungry later. I'll leave some food for you in the fridge ."

"Thanks Adam. Love you. "

"Love you too."

I went up to my room and made sure that the room door was locked. I wasn't going to risk getting attacked in the middle of the night by my brothers .

I was exhausted . so it didn't take long to fall asleep.