CHAPTER 5

The Next morning I slept in. I don't know why, but my body felt really weak and I was exhausted.

"Lia?" There was a light tap at my door and then it was pushed open revealing Adam and a tray of food.

I mentally groaned. Why couldn't he just let me skip? Can't he see the ugly pig that I am? He put the tray down and sat on the bed next to me.

"You alright? You don't look well." He reached forward and felt my forehead.

"I'm okay. Just a little tired." He nodded at my answer and looked away from me guiltily. He was nervous. He didn't want to tell me something. "Adam, what's wrong?"

He hesitated at first but after a heavy sigh he started talking. "I talked to my boss last night, he wants to give me a promotion."

"Isn't that a good thing? Why do you look so nervous?" I asked, dreading the answer.

"I have to leave for a little while."

I felt as if ice cold water was poured on me.

"You're leaving me?" my voice cracked. I can tell it hurt him to have to tell me this.

"No- I- not for long. It won't be for long."

"How long?" I was scared to hear the answer.

"Three weeks. But," he continued when he saw the panic in my eyes, "It could be shorter. I'll make sure to be back in time for your birthday. I promise I'll work as hard as I can to shorten my stay." He bargained.

"I don't want you to go." I cried softly.

"Believe me, I don't want to go either. But I have to." He pleaded for me to understand.

"When do you leave?"

"Tonight"

"No! That's not fair!"

He rubbed my back, trying to calm me down.

"We can talk everyday. And before you know it, I'll be back home."

I realized I was being selfish. He deserves this promotion. After everything he's done for me. He deserved to go without me making him feel bad about it.

"Okay." I managed to say.

"You sure?" he looked at me, his voice laced with concern. I nodded and attempted to smile. It probably came out as a grimace, but I tried.

"Come on, eat your breakfast."

"Can I just skip today? My tummy feels weird." It wasn't a total lie, my stomach still felt weird from last night.

Adam's eyes narrowed in suspicion. "Lia." He started.

"Adam, please, I'm scared I'll throw it up.

"Fine, but you're not skipping lunch "

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

It was time for Adam to leave. Brandon and the twins were out somewhere. So, it was just Adam and I.

My nerves were building up again. What would my brothers do to me? They won't hurt me that much, I hope. The only thing that protected me from my brother's wrath, all these years was Adam, but now he's leaving. I was shaking and sweating and I felt as if all that I ate for lunch was going to come up.

"You're shivering. Are you still ill?"

"I'm fine." I replied a bit shakily.

Adam frowned. "Now I don't feel right leaving you like this."

"Adam, it's fine, really. It's just that this is the first time we'll be apart. I'll miss you." I said softly.

His eyes softened and he opened his arms. "Come here." I tucked my face into his chest and sighed contentedly. "You'll be fine, sweetheart. If you need me I'm just one phone call away."

There was a loud horn from outside.

"The taxi's here." he let me go, but my arms stayed locked at his waist.

"Lia?"

I wanted to cry and beg him not to leave me.  I wanted to tell him that he's the only one I have in this world. But I didn't. I held back my tears and I reluctantly let go of him.

"I love you, Adam."

"I love you too." He smiled, kissed my forehead and swiftly headed out. He didn't want to leave me. I knew this was hard for him too.

I just stood in the hallway, where my brother was standing just a few minuets ago. I let the tears I was holding back, go.

Unfortunately, I couldn't cry for long, because the voices of my other brothers could be heard, getting closer .

For the first time in my life, I felt completely alone. It was a horrible feeling, to have no one in your corner. I sighed tiredly. It's time to face them on my own, without the protection of my oldest brother.