Constellations

Mao Mao gazed up into the midnight sky. Constellations twinkled in the night, staying still as the other stars rushed on by. The forest was quiet, save for the crickets that chirped. Badgerclops pointed upwards and said something Mao Mao couldn't hear. Adorabat looked up in wonder at the cluster of stars Badgerclops was explaining about.

The trio had headed out to observe the night sky, for it was an off day for the Sheriff's department, as there were no monsters nearby, and Orangasnake and his minions were quiet. The group contemplated where to go, Mao Mao vying for a training marathon, while Adorabat wanted to find more monsters to fight. Badgerclops suggested that they should go camp out in the nearby valley and stargazing. On this day, one special constellation that never could be seen in the night sky would appear in the darkness. Yume No Kuma, the Dream Bear. Long ago, ancient civilizations saw it, and they predicted that it would appear every 100 years. They prophesized that it would grant those who slept under the sky that day a dream. What the dreams were, it was told throughout the ages; that those underneath the starry sky would be struck with wonderful, extraordinary visions. Some speculated that the dreams were significant, and that they were symbolic, or foretold future events. It was something that differed from the usual life of the Sheriff's Department. So the group journeyed to a nearby vale, far from any source of light pollution.

"So there," Badgerclops said, "Right there, is the Hisuiijakkaru, or also known as the Jade Jackal. People believed that he was a trickster."

"A trickster?" Adorabat gasped. "Does that mean he's evil?"

"No, no, no," Badgerclops shook his head. "He's kinda like...a good guy who does harmless pranks?"

"Oh!" She exclaimed. "Like that kind of trickster!"

Badgerclops nodded. "Yeah, like that. So you see that circle of stars? That's his Jade Amulet. It's where his powers come from." Badgerclops turned to Mao Mao, who was lost in thought and lost in the stars.

"Mao Mao," Badgerclops said. When he didn't respond, Badgerclops nudged him. "Hey, Mao Mao." The cat snapped out of his reverie and fumbled for words.

"W-what did you s-say Badgerclops?" He stuttered.

Badgerclops looked at him with slight concern, but continued. "Doesn't your family believe in this kinda stuff?" He gestured to the sky. "You know, gods and myths?"

Mao Mao thought about it. "My mother and father do, but my father is a bit more laid back than my mother. My sisters sort of believe it. I kind of do too." He turned to Badgerclops. "And you're wrong about the Jade Jackal."

The silence of the night was soon filled with the conservation of three people

The silence of the night was soon filled with the conservation of three people. Mao Mao pointed to the patterns in the sky and argued with Badgerclops with the stories behind them. As the night continued, they all began to feel rather drowsy. As they snuggled deeper into their sleeping bags, Badgerclops gasped and pointed excitedly at the sky. Yume No Kuma had finally appeared. Mao Mao explained to Adorabat the Dream Bear's backstory as Badgerclops took pictures. They spent more time gazing at the stars, not really speaking at all. Badgerclops clicked a few buttons on his mechanical arm, and soon enough, a quaint and folky tune emanated, and filled the quiet countryside.