On the Wing

Adorabat stared at the paper contemplatively, examining the thing that she painted with a growing resent. It was a simple piece of art, a lush green valley with a vivid blue sky and ever-bright sun. But she had drawn that multiple times before, and with a frustrated groan, she crumbled it up and tossed it away, the paper ball falling in an already full trash can. She picked up a new piece of paper, and glared at it.

It was a boring day. Not that she expected all of her days to be fun and filled with excitement. That's what school was for. But this day in particular was extremely boring. The Sky Pirates weren't attacking, and there was no crime happening in Pure Heart Valley (if stealing someone's yo-yo was a punishable offence). Still, Mao Mao insisted going to make sure that there wasn't any. Badgerclops was just grinding away at another game that she wasn't particularly fond of and that left Adorabat to her own devices.

At first, she had a lot of ideas she wanted to draw onto the parchment, but as the day dragged on, she found that most of them weren't that good or just uncreative. But there was another reason. She turned to the blank canvas that sat in the corner of the room. For many months, she wished to paint something on that alluringly bare white surface. Mao Mao knew this, and despite it being quite expensive, he still bought her it anyway. And so, she wanted to repay the favor to him by painting something on it, something memorable. You could say that the papers she painted on were rough copies, of what she wanted to color on the canvas. But so far, she hadn't really thought of anything.

"C'mon Adorabat! Think!" She muttered to herself.

"Are you okay dude?" Came a voice from the door. Badgerclops stood there, leaning on the doorframe.

"No!" Adorabat groaned. "I don't know what to draw!"

"You mean you're having an artist's block?" Badgerclops asked, and to Adorabat's confused look, he explained. "It's kinda like, y'know, setting out to make something artistic, but you only get so far as just staring at a blank canvas."

"Is that what it's called?" Adorabat asked.

"Pretty much." Badgerclops said. "And fortunately, I know exactly what can help."

"You do?" Adorabat shot up in the air. "Can you help me with it?"

"Yeah, of course." Badgerclops beckoned Adorabat, and the two headed outside. Thankfully, Mao Mao didn't take the aero-cycle, as he preferred to walk down to the valley. The duo hopped on the flying and bike and zoomed off into the sky. The evening had begun to set in, so the sky was painted in an orange tinge.

"So what are you going to do?" Adorabat asked as they rose higher into the sky. "Oh! Are you going to drop me from a huge height so that I'll have a near-death experience that will inspire me to paint?"

"Uh, no." Badgerclops replied. "And besides, you have wings and you do that on the daily." He revved the engine and the aero-cycle sped towards the clouds.

The puffy clouds rushed towards Adorabat, and she gasped, closing her eyes. When she opened them though, her breath caught in her throat at the sight she was seeing.