Sweet Dreams for Now

The moon glistened overhead in the obsidian sky, the stars glittering in the darkness like jewels. The moonbeams gazed down at the valley, their gentle light illuminating the dark corners. Practically everyone was asleep, from King Snugglemane in his royal king-sized bed to Orangusnake and his goons in their fallen ship. But one person was still awake, and she was having a hard time falling asleep.

"Ughhh!" Adorabat groaned in frustration as she hung from upside down. "Why-can't-I-go-to-sleep!"

"Dude..." Badgerclops rubbed his eyes and yawned. "Just...close your eyes...and..." He yawned. "And go to...sleep..."

"That doesn't work!" Adorabat grumbled in frustration. "I try and try, but I can't!" She dropped from her hanging place and faceplanted into her pillow. Mao Mao sighed, as he peered up from his bunk.

"Adorabat." Mao Mao said. "Just...okay, wait a minute." He said as he got up from his bunk and climbed up to her bed. "Okay, Adorabat," He reached out and placed his hand on her shoulder. "What makes you sleep?"

Adorabat shrugged. "I dunno." She mumbled. "I feel fine, but I can't go to sleep!" She growled in frustration and fell backward, bouncing slightly off the mattress. Mao Mao scratched his chin, and he narrowed his eyes in thought. Suddenly, an idea popped in his head, and he hesitated a bit about doing it, but he decided to go with it.

"Well, I think I have an idea as to how to cure your case of non-sleepiness," Mao Mao said with a dramatic flare to his voice.

"Like what?" Adorabat asked.

"First, you gotta close your eyes." Mao Mao commanded. "Then, perch yourself upside down again, and take a few deep breaths."

"Dude are you actually gonna?" Badgerclops asked. and Mao Mao glared down at him. "Well, knock yourself out." 

"Alright..." Mao Mao looked back to Adorabat, who was hanging upside down and looking at him expectantly. "Now what? And what's Badgerclops talking about?"

"Just close your eyes." He gently said, and Adorabat did. He took a deep breath, and to Adorabat's surprise, he began to sing.

"Goodnight, goodnight, it's time to sleep. The moon's watching over you, and your dreams." He sang it softly and oddly, it was comforting, and Adorabat yawned. Taking it as a sign to continue, Mao Mao kept singing. "Goodnight, goodnight, my sweet little one. Tomorrow, your eyes, they will light up the sun." He hummed a little as he caressed Adorabat's head, and she actually felt sleepy, yawning and wrapping her wings tighter around herself as Mao Mao kept humming.

"But goodnight, goodnight, sweet dreams for now. Drift off to sleep, on your pillow of clouds." Mao Mao took a deep breath. "Goodnight, goodnight, my sweet little friend. Tomorrow's adventures, they will soon begin. Tomorrow's adventures, will soon begin..." His voice lowered to barely a whisper as he finished, and he opened his eyes hesitantly. To his relief and surprise, Adorabat was sound asleep and snoring. Then, without making a sound, he inched his way down and back to his bed. He expected Badgerclops to whisper some remark, but it seemed that the badger himself had dozed off while Mao Mao sang. Mao Mao chuckled to himself, and he hopped into his bed. 

Fin