Sunburn

The summer sun beat down on Pure Heart Valley relentlessly. The residents tried their hardest to keep cool, but the heat wave didn't let loose its grip. It reached to the point that even Kinh Snugglemane had trouble keeping himself temperate. It would've become an emergency if the Sheriff's Department hadn't intervened. It was Badgerclops' idea to go out to the nearby lakes to cool off. It was good for the citizens and was also pretty fun.

Normally, Mao Mao was reluctant to leave Pure Heart Valley unprotected. The Sky Pirates could take over the kingdom while they were away! But like them, the Sky Pirates were also afflicted with the heat stroke as well. So the entirety of Pure Heart Valley's people left for the lakes.

Mao Mao laid back in his chair, underneath the shadow of an umbrella, and gazed at the inhabitants having a good time. He wore white shorts and a beautiful Hawaiian styled shirt.

Jaybird sat on his floater, simply staring out onto the lake. Rhett the Chef flipped up burgers and served them to the other denizens. Chett the Ref refereed a game of beach volleyball between Plippy, Kevin, and Lucky, versus Chubbum, Ketchup, and Gary. Bait-Shop Bub and Camille lounged in the sun, lying contentedly on their mats. Mail Mole repeatedly bumped into others on the beach, stumbling around. Clark Lockjaw was in his element as he splashed around in the lake, gibbering with joy. Honey, like her usual shy self, found a shaded part of the lakeshore, quietly sketching in the sand. Marion did strong and exceptional breast strokes around the lake. Pinky, being the literal pink demon he is, was eating sand, chewing it, and spitting it back out. Benny and Penny were wandering around the beach, eating hamburgers. Farmer Bun laid on a floater, his vermillion pants replaced with scarlet shorts. In the middle of the beach, King Snugglemane sat on a royal armchair, shadowed by an umbrella. Quinton and the guards, despite being out in the blazing heat, were still wearing their traditional clothing of servants.

Adorabat and Badgerclops were swimming with each other, laughing with delight and joy. Mao Mao declines when they asked him to join.

"Come on man," Badgerclops said. "Relax a little! There's nothing to worry about!"

"Badgerclops," Mao Mao replied. "It's alright."

And so, he was here, watching everyone else have a good time. Not that he himself wasn't having a good time. But he was perfectly content on just kicking back and observing.

—-

Meanwhile, the Sky Pirates had tried to invade Pure Heart Valley as they noticed that no one was defending it. But the sweltering heat was too hot, even for Orangusnake.

"Come...on..." He urged his fellow Pirates. "We...can...take over...Pure...ugh..." He nearly fainted, using his energy axe to keep him from falling.

"Hey boss..." Ratarang gasped. "Don't ya think...we should...probably find...somewhere to cool down?"

"What? Why?" Orangusnake asked. "This...might be...our only...chance..."

"Well..." Boss Hosstrich scratched his chin. "What if...well what if..."

"What?" Orangusnake questioned.

"What if we just...go chill out?" Ramaraffe suggested. "Like what the other guys are doing. We can...just go to a lake...or something."

"Chill out?" Orangusnake said in a ludicrous tone. "We do not chill out! We are Sky Pirates! And we," He pointed to the Ruby Pure Heart. "WE WILL STEAL THE RUBY PURE HEART!" With that, he began marching towards Pure Heart Valley. Only to fall over from exhaustion. Boss Hoffstrich tsked.

"Come on Boss," He lifted Orangusnake up. "Let's get out if this heat."

—-

Mao Mao had almost dozed off to the lullaby of the summer winds until Badgerclops shook him awake.