10

"Alright ladies, you have all been assigned a jersey to wear. I will call you name and you'll pick up the jersey," coach said. She stood on a chair in front of her office in the girl's locker room. She looked down at the clipboard. "Missy number 75," Missy smirked at me, she was wearing Ty's number. I rolled my eyes. "Dana, number 22."

"Damnit," she groaned going up to grab the jersey. I chuckled. She had to wear Ryder's number. She walked back over to me and crossed her arms. "I told Ricky to request me."

"Brandi number 34."

"Ricky picked Brandi?" Dana asked.

"I asked him to," I answered. "She was gonna wear Ty's but he dropped her for Missy."

"Tessa number 13."

A bunch of the other girls groaned in disappointment as Tessa grabbed the jersey. She walked back over to us. "Who's jersey do I have?" she asked.

"Luke's."

"Congrats, you're one of three girls who have gotten to wear it. Leia wore it freshman year, I wore it sophomore year and he didn't let anyone wear it last year."

Tessa sighed. "Does he not get that I don't like him?" We both shrugged.

"Leia number 1."

"WHAT!" screamed Missy. "He doesn't let anyone wear his jersey."

"He is this year I guess," coach said.

She stomped over to me. "I've been asking to wear his jersey for the last three years!"

I shrugged. "Not my problem." I grabbed the jersey. Missy screeched and walked out of the locker room. Coach rolled her eyes and continued calling out the rest of the names. I shrugged the jersey over my head. I always liked how the jerseys looked with our cheer skirts and shoes. Tessa, Dana, and I took mirror selfies in the bathroom before we left. We carried our crates to the track setting them up in lines.

Luke ran over to me. "Leia I need your help!"

"What?"

"Nick won't come out of the locker room. Please you have to talk some sense into him." I jumped down from my crate and ran with him back into the school. He looked inside the locker to make sure the coast was clear. "I'll keep watch."

I nodded and walked inside. I walked to the back where Nick was sitting with his head in his hands. I kneeled down in front of him. He brought his head up to look at me. I smiled. "What are you doing in here? The game's out there."

"I can't play."

I sighed. I stood. I stood up and sat beside him. I grabbed his hand interlocking out fingers. "Lindsay?" he nodded looking down at our hands. "She loved watching you play. She would scream so loud when you scored a touchdown. I think she'd want you to play."

"I know she would." he leaned down and grabbed a black box out of his bag. "She helped me make this, she wanted me to do it after the game but I guess now's a good a time as any."

I took the box from him. I opened up the lid. On the flipped up lid in cut-up letters spelled out "cheer me up and..." inside the box was a football with "tackle homecoming with me?" written in black pen. In front of it were a bunch of fake sunflowers without the stems. I smiled at him. "Aww Nicky, this is so cute."

"So would you want to be my date? I know the dance is tomorrow but-"

I kissed his cheek stopping him. "I'd love to go to homecoming with you," I said wiping my lipgloss off of his cheek. He smiled at me. "But I need a favor."