Prologue

Nepal is a beautiful place. Set in the laps of Mother Nature, the country is breathtaking even when asleep. The tall and exceptional temples symbolize the junction of diverse cultures, geography and the humble inhabitants. This description would be incomplete without mentioning the iconic mountain range-The Himalayas.

Mountaineering is difficult. It's very hard. Months of endurance training, strength training, yoga, controlling of the breath and improving the stamina are just the very basics for absolute beginners. Trust me because I am one of the learners of this terrific art.

I love my home. I love my father, who is the only family I have. I know that I'm absolutely nothing without him. Growing up here in Bhaktapur has been a blessing.

But I still feel like my heart belongs to somewhere else.

My best friend Mira and I have been into the K-Culture for two years and a half now. I remember it all too well. The first ever K-Drama we watched together was 'Strong Woman Do Bong Soon'. I remember Mira falling in love with the second lead Guk Doo played by artist Ji Soo. We have been K-Drama addicts ever since. It was me who introduced her to this world and she blames me every day for this. Nevertheless, she took her revenge by introducing me to another world called K-Pop. Don't even try to get me started over there. Because if I do, I swear that even if the Mt. Everest came to me to shut me up, I won't. No, I'm not exaggerating.

"Himani! Come out fast or we'll be late." echoes my father's voice through the walls of our small home. "Mira's here."

"In a minute, dad!" I echo back as I zip up the final zipper on my backpack and hang it over my shoulders.

Holding two trolleys from both my hands, I drag them out to the living room. I wink at Mira as I see her casually sitting on the floor mat. Her father waves at me from the door as I smile at him. I look at my father for a second as he ties his shoe laces. To fetch the last trolley, I go back to my room. I'm going to miss my little room a lot. On my way to the living room, the sound of the wheels being dragged against the floor increase my heart beat. The anticipation is killing me.

"So," I begin, "are you ready to go, Ms. Mira Chhetri?"

She smirks. "Of course, I am. Are you ready, Ms. Himani Acharya?"

She watches me gulp as I look down at my feet. Within a few seconds, I feel myself being engulfed in a warm and gentle embrace. It takes me a second to contemplate that the strong arms around my shoulders are my father's. I grab hold of the back of his shirt and let out a deep sigh.

"It will be alright, dear. You will be fine." He gently whispers.

I can sense the heaviness is his voice. He is on the verge of crying.

"Yeah, dad. I hope so too." I manage to speak up.

Right when I think that he is about to break down, he straightens up in front of me. He caresses my head adoringly as I gaze into his hazel eyes. Being just three centimeters shorter than him, I can see all of his features clearly. They're gentle and softer than ever before.

Without a word, we turn towards the main door. Mira holds two of her baggage and dad helps her to hold her third one. A brown sling bag sits on her right hip, its belt across her chest contrasting against the pink hoodie she's wearing. The realization of she wearing the finger heart hoodie I gifted on her birthday makes me ecstatic.

Within an hour, we reach the airport. As we put our belongings down and get ready to walk in, Mira says, "That was quite a long drive. I had never realized that we lived that far away from the airport."

"We would've reached quicker if my dad hadn't been the one who drove." I admit as I grab hold of two baggage-carriers from nearby.

"I can hear you, Himani." says my dad as if I had forgotten he was around.