Chapter 42

"Sorry, no," Hana speaks into the mic as she looks at Stacy through the transparent glass. "Again."

Stacy takes a deep breath and readjusts her headphones. Turning to the condenser microphone, she lifts up the lyrics paper to her eye-level. She looks at Producer Hana for the cue.

Keeping one hand on her chin, Hana gently lifts her right hand up in the air. The golden body of the pen in her hand flashes in the eyes of the three girls behind her.

At the count of hana, dul, set by Hana's fingers, Stacy restarts her rap.

Hana closes her eyes to feel the accord better. This version of Stacy's rehearsal is much better. Her fire persists, but milder this time; just like how Hana wanted. Hana taps her feet to the floor.

But her tapping stops when Stacy's transition from the rap to a low note does not go smooth enough.

Stacy sighs afterwards and leans against the grey walls of the tiny room.

Through the mic, Hana speaks, "Did great, Stacy. You can come on out now."

Stacy nods and comes out to join the three others on the couch.

Yoonseul pats Stacy's shoulder in acceptance. Stacy gives a weak smile in response.

Hana gets up from her chair and walks towards the door. Before leaving, she solemnly announces, "Let's take a break. We shall continue with Haein after an hour, okay? Stacy can try again tomorrow."

"What?" Haein frowns. "But Stacy eonnie did so well."

Hana sighs. "That's true, Haein. But it's still not what we want it to be. Right, Stacy?"

Stacy looks down and gives a little nod.

"Don't sweat it, Stacy," the leader gently smiles. "It'll come, for sure."

~

Some days the studio room seems to be large enough to nurture dreams of a thousand people whereas other days it elicits claustrophobia. Today, due to some reason, the room seemed extra tiny to Hana. To breathe more comfortably and clear her head, Hana now walks out under the open sky of Gangnam-gu, Seoul.

Sure enough, she shouldn't be out in broad daylight, but this walk somehow seemed to be filling her up with the much-needed energy.

She leaves behind another building and takes a sharp turn until she walks into a less-crowded space. The buildings seem to be much shorter here and much closer.

She puts her hands into her pockets and right when she passes another dwelling, a squeeze on her arm pulls her into an alleyway. Her chest rises and falls terribly and she screams; but a harsh hand covers up her mouth, letting only a fraction of her voice escape.

But that fraction drowns into the street noise.

Hana steadies herself to plan out her next move. She would kill the person if need be, but when the other person removes their shades, Hana ceases all actions.

"Rebecca?" Hana huffs out. "What are you doing here!?"

"It's been a while, Hana," says the green-eyed girl. "I missed you."

"I did too," Hana says, ungracefully. "But you're not supposed to give me a heart attack like this."

Rebecca laughs scathingly. The chill in it causes goosebumps to rise up Hana's body.

The pale girl looks directly at Hana, with no sign of warmth in her eyes, "I wouldn't have given you this heart attack if you hadn't been doing the same to me for the past four years."