Hope?

"You, Midoriya Izuku can be a hero "

The silence stretched as the words began to sink in. He could be a hero? How could All Might say that? Was he playing some kind of sick joke on him? But then again, he was the symbol of peace. He wouldn't do that... would he?

Panic bubbled in his mind at the thought of these words being nothing but a cruel joke. One more way for life to bring him down.

How could someone as useless as him possibly be a hero?

His ears were ringing and dark spots were beginning to form at the edge of his vision. All Might's booming voice, the only thing keeping him from having a full blown panic attack. His words cutting through the static ringing in his ears.

"My boy, my quirk has been the subject of countless interviews and questioning but I always try to redirect the media and deflect their questions, because, until this day, my quirk is one of the most guarded secrets in my life.

My quirk, known as One for all is a stockpiling quirk, a power passed on every new generation to the next to only those worthy of wielding its power" Wait what? Izuku could only stare with wide eyes as he gazed upon the older, taller hero standing in front of him, it didn't make any sense! quirks were supposed to be hereditary! Ever since their appearance, not a single one had been passed on from a person to another. It was impossible!

All Might smiled softly at the mumbling teenager in front of him. "I'm being completely honest with you kid. I too was quirk less once until my predecessor saw potential in me and gave me this power, turning me into its 8th holder."

Izuku didn't know what to think anymore. All Might, quirk less? But why was he telling him about his power? "Wait... what are you trying to say?" Izuku didn't want to get his hopes up. For all he knew, All Might just wanted to ask him about Kacchan or if he knew someone worthy of such an honor because it sure wasn't plain old useless Deku.

"I've grown weak and old my boy, after the incident five years ago I don't know how much time I have left as the symbol of peace before I'll be forced to retire" Electric blue met emerald eyes and held them for a few seconds " The world needs a new pillar of justice and I think that you my boy would be the perfect candidate. I know this is sudden, but accepting this would mean taking on a huge responsibility and burden too but I believe that you young Midoriya will be a great hero"
How was he supposed to respond to that? How could he possibly decline such an offer? But wasn't it selfish for someone as unworthy as him to take this kind of power? And what if his mom found out? His guts twisted at the thought and a shiver ran through his spine. No. he would make sure to hide this from her at all cost.

He felt something wet dripping down his cheek, suddenly very aware that he was crying. He felt so overwhelmed. By these dangerous feelings bubbling up inside of him. The fear of his mother finding out, the dark thoughts at the back of his mind telling him, yelling that: No! A useless kid like him could never be worthy of this kind of honor but at the front of those feelings, he could feel excitement and hopefulness bubbling to the surface. And weren't these feeling dangerous indeed? Izuku looked up gathering as much courage as he could master, eyes brimming with determination "I accept." A small smile threatened to overtake his expression he could finally become a hero maybe life would finally be in his favor

---------------------------------

Well, it was good while it lasted. Izuku's good mood somehow lasted half an hour after All Might had left, remembering that he was still technically homeless for the weekend and would need to find somewhere to sleep.

After a little while, he finally settled in an old kid's playhouse at an isolated part of the park, curling up on himself, sleep threatened to overtake him as he thought about what kind of training he would do with All Might tomorrow. It was a good thing he had packed some running cloth and sneakers.