I Freaking Love You

Doc's POV

~~~~

After I got back to my base that evening I hit my fist against the wall in frustration. I had managed to summon the courage to kiss Ren, and then it was all ruined!

I rested my head on my arm against the wall I had just punched a dent into, breathing heavily. 

I was going to get Tango back for not minding his own business and telling Mumbo and Grian that we did it. 

What made him think he could do this?

I was too angry to sleep so I decided to get Tango back now. It was as good a time as any. 

I gathered up some stuff involving insane amounts of TNT. Who knows what would come of my anger? 

Probably a lot of destruction.

I launched off of the ground, determined to make Tango pay. 

I flew past Ren's racetrack and as I looked down, I saw him on the viewing platform which overlooked the track. He must have heard me flying past, because he called my name. 

"Hold on! Where are you going?"

I'm not entirely sure why, but I started going faster, ignoring him. Maybe it was the embarassment of what had happened- or rather what hadn't happened- or the guilt that the move I made was too sudden. Ren had seemed in shock when I tried to kiss him, and I wondered if it was because he didn't like me in that way. I had been getting the impression that he did, but maybe I was wrong.

Either way I needed to distance myself from him, as much as it hurt to do so. 

I heard him following, still calling after me. I had to shake him off somehow. I turned a corner and then hid in a tree, holding my breath. 

I felt terrible. The last thing I wanted to do was push Ren away, but it was better for him. He was safer without me, because who knew what Tango would do to me in retaliation? I didn't want Ren getting involved too. 

He turned the corner just as I had, and began searching for me. He knew I could have gone anywhere from here. 

I watched him float to the ground, sighing as he gave up his search. 

He wasn't crying or anything dramatic like that; he was simply walking back the way he came with his head down and his hands in his pockets. 

It broke my heart to see him like that, but I had to keep going. I was doing this for Ren.

I flew to Tango's base in the fantasy district, already deciding the prime position of the TNT. 

As I was thinking about that, I came up with an even better idea. TNT was too quick, too merciful. I needed something more painful and slow. 

I found his storage system, adjusted my tie, and smirked. This was going to be great!

After an hour or so, I had set up the perfect trap. 

I scanned the area under the ground where the redstone was with my robotic eye to make sure it looked functional. It had an X-ray feature. It came in very handy when it came to one certain man with suspenders. I laughed to myself at the thought. 

My smile quickly faded as I remembered I wasn't going to be seeing Ren for a long time, robotic eye or not. 

I was sure the trap would work perfectly, and I went back to my base feeling a little bit better now that I knew Tango would get what he deserved. 

There was still a gaping hole in my heart where Ren should have been. Tango suffering was great and all, but what I really needed was Ren here with me. 

And to think I was the one pushing him away. I just wanted to make sure he was safe, and as long as he was with me, he wasn't. 

Ren must have been waiting for me to come back, because he knocked on the door. 

"Doc? I know you're in there so don't give me the silent treatment! If you don't let me in, I'm breaking open this door!"

Fine! good luck with that, I thought as I looked at the heavy iron door separating us. 

I wasn't going to let all this effort I was going into to keep him safe to be for nothing, so I knew I couldn't let him in. 

Just in case he did manage to break down the door, I quickly set up traps to keep him away from where I was going to be. They weren't going to kill him or anything, but they would hopefully make him decide to head back to his base after he realized he wasn't welcome here anymore. 

I dug down into the ground to make a temporary hidden base while I waited to see if he would stay true to his word and actually break down the door. 

Just as I was thinking he had given up and left, I heard the door fall down with a loud crash. 

Oh no, he actually did it, I thought, starting to get a little nervous. 

I heard him running into my traps as he called my name, looking everywhere for me. There was a desperation in his voice that made a part of me want to show myself, apologize, hug him, and beg for his forgivness. 

I chuckled softly. Yeah, in his dreams. 

Suddenly, everything was quiet for a minute or two until I heard him leave. 

I left the hole of a base that I had created in my panic and looked around. My base was covered in signs and I walked around to read them.

"Oh, Ren..." I whispered, feeling even worse now. 

The signs read: "I don't know why you're doing this, but whatever the reason, STOP!", "I will keep breaking down iron doors if I have to", "Why don't you just make it easier for both of us and just stop this nonsense?", "You're acting like a child", "This isn't what friends do", "We do this together, okay man?" and, "I swear if you keep up with this silent treatment thing, I will destroy your entire base". 

I had no doubt that he would, too. 

And the last sign: "You wanna know why I care so much, Doc? Why I won't let you ruin our friendship? BECAUSE I FREAKING LOVE YOU, YOU IDIOT!!!"

I wasn't too sure the "freaking" was necessary, but I got the idea. 

I cleaned up the signs, thinking about what he'd said- or wrote. In a way, he was right that I was ruining our friendship, but I was doing it to keep him safe. I was still sure I was doing the right thing. It wasn't easy for either of us, but it was the right thing.

Well I suppose it was time to say goodbye to my base.