That Explains That!

Mumbo's POV

~~~~

As we flew in closer to the Hermitage, I motioned for Tango, Impulse, and Zedaph to start their diversion so I could sneak into the base.

Iskall and I came in from the back, keeping out of sight of any windows. Cub and Scar were staying hidden behind a tall stone hill, keeping watch as backup. 

As we walked through the sand toward their base, I heard explosions from the front of the Hermitage, which meant Team Z.I.T. were playing their part. 

My hands were sweaty and my heart was pumping fast as we approached a wooden door that opened into a tower. 

There was yelling coming from above, ordering attacks on the intruders. The explosions were continuing, and I spotted arrows flying just over the wall. Luckily, they hadn't spotted us yet. 

I hoped Team Z.I.T. was really good at dodging flaming arrows. I didn't worry about them too much- they could take care of themselves, I had no doubt. 

Right now I had to worry about getting in, finding Grian, and getting him back out- preferably and hopefully alive. 

We got to the door and Iskall reached out to open it before pausing to look at me as if to say: Are you ready?

I nodded, staring at the door so intently it might have caught fire. I had to save Grian, whether I was ready or not. 

He nodded back at me with an almost fearful look and opened the door, letting me walk in first. I took a deep breath and began climbing the ladder- which I hoped led into the main part of the Hermitage somewhere.  

I could still hear the commotion just outside and yet I felt miles away from it. I was hyper focused on the task at hand- getting my mustache back. 

Oh- and Grian. 

After what seemed like an eternity, we reached the top of the ladder. Iskall and I hadn't said a word since the journey to the Hermitage, not because we were afraid of being heard- not with all the chaos outside- but likely because the air was dense by my own nervousness. 

I imagined I hadn't been very easy to talk to lately and I felt bad about that, but not knowing what had happened to Grian was slowly driving me insane- even more than I already was. Imagine that!

We came out at the top of the tower, which contained a platform with arrow-slits in the walls- looking out at the chaos outside. Peering out, I saw that Tango, Impulse, and Zedaph were busy dodging flaming arrows and TNT drops from Team Den's flying machines, which I guessed Doc had constructed.

I wrenched my eyes away from the action outside to scan my surroundings and figure out what to do next. Good news: there was a corridor leading out of the tower, which I assumed led into the main part of the base where Grian would be. 

Iskall followed silently behind me, and I wished he wasn't so quiet. I couldn't remember a time when Iskall was this quiet- and I hated it. It felt so unnatural, and it sure wasn't helping my nerves any. 

I didn't say anything though; I knew we had to stay focused and just in case they had people on the inside keeping watch, it would be safer to not make any noise if we could help it.

The two of us walked down the corridor and came up to a door on the right. I opened it, my sword at the ready as I peered into the room. Nope, no Grian. Just storage. 

I sighed, not sure how much longer I could put up with not knowing Grian's whereabouts and his condition without throwing a fit or something. Maybe I could throw redstone dust into the air, toss TNT on it, and set fire to it.