Chapter 9 - Secret Mission

Pov Midoriya
"So you're going to meet up with Bakugou tonight?" Kaminari asked surprised. I nodded, not speaking now that my mouth was stuffed with food. It was evening already and we were eating dinner together. Just Todoroki, Shinsou, Kaminari and me, like in the good old days.
"If he shows up, that is" I answered, drinking a bit afterwards.

"Of course he'll show up. That guy is still head over heels for you, you know?" Shinsou sighed, making me blush.
"It surprises me the fact you're a villain doesn't seem to bother him at all. It's not the kind of person I imagined him to be"
"Love really does change people" Denki mused, making his boyfriend hum in agreement.

"Does that mean the two of you are back together?" Hitoshi asked, looking at me.
"We never broke up, so I guess we've always been together" I shrugged.
"The real question is whether he wants to break up with me or not... A lot has changed since high school, you know? I don't want to make things overcomplicated"
"Speaking of high school-" Shoto stated, glancing at me.

"How are things at UA?"

"It's good. Nobody suspects a thing since my cover is even more solid then it was last time. I mean, the Green Reaper is officially still dead, right? There is no way they could be suspicious of a seemingly quirkless person right now"
"Yeah, I'm really not used to your new style yet" Kaminari pointed out, staring at the blue mess on top of my head.
"Green suited you much better" Shinsou added. I rolled my eyes but couldn't help but to nod in agreement. Green really is my colour after all.

"It's only temporarily. Besides, once I use my quirk, it'll fade away to my natural colours anyway. My genes will get shocked back out of the trance I put them in, so to speak" I explained.
"You really like toying with DNA, don't you?" Todoroki asked with a small smile.
"I like toying with quirks more but you gotta take what you've got" I shrugged, laughing a little. Everyone else chuckled too, before Sho became serious again.

"Say, Izuku, that there is a quirk that harms its user... Would you be able to adjust it? To change it in a way that it won't?"
"Depends on the quirk" I stated.
"Why the sudden question? Is there someone you've got in mind?"
"It's... You know what, forget about it. It doesn't really matter now anyway" he sighed, shoving his chair back and getting up.
"I'm finished. Please enjoy the rest of your dinner"

With that he left, making me frown a bit. Something is wrong...
"Hmph, what's with him all of the sudden?" Kami muttered. Of course I'm not the only one who noticed.
"I think this might be about Toya... Remember what the doctor said? Things aren't looking great for him" Oshi pointed out on a quiet tone. I frowned even harder at hearing that. Toya seemed perfectly fine at school when I saw him. Could it be there was something going on I don't know about?

"What about it?" I asked bluntly, making both of them stare at me with big eyes.
"Right, you don't know" Denki said with a nervous chuckle.
"Well, uh, it's like this... Uhm, since Toya is doing hero work, he puts a real strain on his body and his quirk. But the doctors say that if he continues like this, his body won't be able to witstand it much longer. They give him a few more years, tops"

I stared at him in shock. Toya is slowly killing himself...
"People have asked him to stop, but he refuses" Shinsou continued.
"If he isn't a hero anymore, he won't be able to teach at UA the next year. Apparently he really fucking likes his job"
"It's dragged out suicide" I whispered, clenching my fists.
"I'll... I'll go talk to him about it, see what I can do"

"He's also refusing help on the matter" Kaminari stated.
"I don't care. I'm not letting the family of my members get hurt if I can help it! That's not what the D.E.K.U. stands for!" I hissed, getting up.
"Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get ready to meet up with Kacchan"