Chapter 2 - Fighting For Lives

The Beta, as I've decided to call him, walked the long route where he reached the Vitali base. I allowed my eyes to wander and document the number of men I saw posted by the door. When Beta whispered the password I attempted to interpret what he had said - well whispered. It sounded something like 'Massachusetts' which I found odd since the Vitali family were Italian, so wouldn't that mean that the password was an Italian word? Apparently not.

We went through many tunnels, too many for my liking and my aching memory. We turned several rights and lefts before we stopped in front of a door. There was a keypad near the door where Beta was quickly typing away the passcode. I tried to peek but he hid it well.

We entered a large room that looked like an assembly hall from high school, I assumed we would stop in there but we didn't. We practically walked through a wall, or I thought we did. We stopped at the door and I watched as Beta knocked harshly on the door. Four times to be precise.

I heard a sharp 'come in' from the inside of the room before Beta grabbed me by the scruff of my neck and practically tossed me in the room like I was some damn animal.

"What do you bring me, Dantè?" Vinchenzo asked looking at me from his mahogany desk.

"Her boyfriend was chasing her down the street and was trying to murder her. She ran right into Vitali lands." The beta who I knew as Dantè said as he looked at me spitefully.

"What's your name?" Vinchenzo asked finally leaning back in his seat, his green eyes practically seeing my soul.

"Stephanie," I muttered sticking to the name I gave Dantè earlier on.

Vinchenzo looked suspicious which scared me and I began to pray that he wouldn't recognize from somewhere.

"Ah, I see," He said, "And Stephanie," He said gritting his teeth emphasizing my fake name, "Do you perhaps happen to not have a surname?" He said looking at me.

"I do," I nodded, "It's Suter,"

"Of course, Stephanie Suter." Vinchenzo muttered, "Can you explain to me why you are here?" He asked eyeing me.

"My boyfriend... he thought I was cheating on him and he punched me in the stomach. I kneed him and made a run for it and he began to chase me with his gun," I said and forced my waterworks to make an appearance, "He kept on yelling that he... he would kill me! I was so scared and I didn't know where I was!" I said crocodile tears falling down my face.

"Okay, do you know who we are?" Vinchenzo asked.

I shook my head, "No."

"Good." He said to me and then looked at Dantè, "We have issues to deal with down below. Take all of your men I'll meet you after I deal with Miss Suter here."

Dantè looked horrified as he looked between me and Vinchenzo.

"Go!" Vinchenzo commanded.

"But-" Dantè began.

"Basta!" Vinchenzo yelled slamming both of his fists down on the table, his green eyes turned dark as he faced Dantè who didn't appear to be shaken at all.

[Enough]

"Yes sir," Dantè said finally complying with what Vinchenzo had asked of him earlier.

When the men vacated the room, Vinchenzo turned his attention to me and smirked.

"Well Savannah Suter," He began.

"It's Stephanie," I immediately corrected him.

"Lo so, mia cara." Vinchenzo grinned.