Chapter 26 - Hospital

The scents wafting all over the corridors make me feel nauseous. I hated that smell. It brought back many sour memories and flashbacks that I didn't want to have.

The hospital. The place where I hated most. This had been the place where they weren't able to save my sister. The place where they couldn't save my mother.

I sat on the bench my head resting against Vinchenzo's shoulder, our hands laced together as I watched Dantè pace up and down repeatedly.

"Calm down Dantè." Vinchenzo said, "Sienna will be fine. She is a strong woman."

"I can't Don. I'm scared she's going to die. I should have protected her!" He hissed as he stood and leaned against the wall.

"You couldn't have been in twenty places all at one time. You're human, please do remember that." I said softly as Dantè snapped his hand back and punched the wall, leaving a deep dent in it.

"I should have protected her!" He yelled.

"Don't yell at her!" Vinchenzo called back as he pulled me together to him.

"Your precious little girlfriend needs to mind her own business and not tell me what to do! The love of my life is in that room being operated on, she has no idea how I feel!" He roared as he stormed off towards the cafeteria, probably to get another cup of coffee.

"Ignore him, my love." Vinchenzo whispered, "He is overwhelmed with his thoughts. He doesn't know what he is saying." He said calmly.

"Sienna was my best friend too." I choked out as my eyes watered.

"I know. Dantè is an idiot. A monotone fool. He can't think outside of the box."

"I know more than anyone what he feels like. I lost two family members at the age of sixteen. I sat in these very benches waiting for some good news but all I good was bad ones.

"First my mother wasn't able to be saved and then my sister... My sister gave her life to drugs and alcohol. She couldn't handle the death of our mother and she refused to get help. She eventually overdosed and no matter how much the doctors tried to save her... she was gone." I sobbed.

"Breathe, Red. Just breathe." Vinchenzo whispered soothing circles onto my back.

"When am I leaving for the mission?" I asked as I wiped off my tears. I wanted - no need - to change the subject. My sister and my mother remained a sore spot for me and I couldn't talk about them.

"You don't have to go now. Maybe later." He said shrugging.

"Director Lee will be worried and will probably think I'm dead by now. I lost track of how long I have been down here for." I admitted as I rested my head on his shoulder.

"Well, when we let you go up and back into the world you can pretend to have managed to fool us. Dantè and the team are already working on a foolproof story and images that will help you but also not harm us in any way." He explained.

"I'm nervous," I admitted as Vinchenzo tangled our fingers together in an attempt to calm me.

"Why?"

"I'm scared I say the wrong thing or out you guys to them. This is the FBI we are talking about and if I'm suspected of anything I will be killed on the spot." I said.

"Just think before you speak. Breathe in and count to ten before you answer." He said.

"I will try my best."

"Never forget that you vowed omèrta to us. You owe it to us to remain loyal." He said nonchalantly as he stood up and stretched his arms.

"Coffee? Strawberry milkshake?" He asked me as I remained seated.

"I'll come with you," I decided, "I need to get up and walk around anyways."

We walked out of the waiting room. Vinchenzo grabbed my hand as we walked down the staircase that led to the cafeteria that served rather decent drinks and some food choices.

Vinchenzo ordered a black coffee while I ordered a strawberry milkshake with chocolate chip cookies. We sat in one of the more private booths and drank our drinks in silence.

"Do you think Sienna will make it?" I asked him as I leaned forward and placed my hands on the desk.

He nodded, "I know she will. The girl is strong, she'll pull through."

"I told you Dantè loved her!" I said as I sipped my milkshake.

"We all knew. We were waiting for him to realise it himself. Dantè is one stubborn man," He shrugged his shoulders as he pulled out his phone and scrolled through it.

I sat in silence and watched him. His dark eyebrows were furrowed together as he tapped against the screen. It looked as though he was typing an important email or text message.

We sat in the booth for hours in absolute silence which I didn't like. I preferred to have a small conversation over nothing at all. I was left to my own devices as Vinchenzo was transported to the world of social media. He was rather intensely occupied by whatever was going on, on his screen.

I stood up and returned to the waiting room. I didn't want to leave him behind but he was too distracted to even notice I had left. I watched as Dantè continued to pace until a grey-haired doctor wearing a white lab coat sporting a sullen face walked inside the room.

Dantè immediately stopped his pacing and glanced in my direction before he stared at the doctor. We were both excited yet nervous to hear what he had to say. This was the moment that could change our lives either for the best or for the worst. I was hoping that it would be the first option.

My heart wouldn't be able to handle losing someone else I deeply cared for. I was certain that Dantè felt the same way that I did.

"Family of Sienna Rhodes?" The doctor asked as he stood in the centre of the room.

Dantè and I immediately made our way towards him, "What do you know about my fiancè?" Dantè practically growled.

Hey Guys!

This really was quite hard for me to write. I really do love Sienna's character and I can relate to her as well.

I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter and if you did, don't forget to click the star down below and leave your thoughts in the comments 💖

Xoxo
Perla