Sweet Scent

I loved the smell of the earth, the sound of nature, the flowers that bloomed and released such wonderful scents that filled my nostrils. I also loved taking off my shoes and feeling the earth beneath my feet. I suppose that was a thing for my kind. The Earth Dragons. My father was a strong Earth dragon, my mother was a little older than him. She always went on about how good looking he was and how her heart wouldn't stop thudding in her chest for him. I wondered what that would be like, what it would feel like to feel that for someone.

I had taken a liking to a few of the kitchen maidens, even some of the other palace staff. Of course liking them and bedding them meant nothing, our kind had mates waiting for us. None of the women I teased and bedded were my mates. They knew it too, but there was nothing wrong with harmless fun.

Mother caught me once with a kitchen girl... she was older than me. All of my temporary bed warmers had been. She yelled at me and told me I was just like my father, I got my first and last warning with her. But... that didn't stop me from bedding the same kitchen girl again.... And again. She was fun.

I stopped after Jimin had come back from finding his mate. Things got rougher with the rebels and I needed to be more alert, no distractions.

The more I saw how my brothers changed as they were mated, the more I wondered when I would be fated to it. I saw how happy they were, and I kind of wanted to experience it. The question of course was when would it be my time? When would this girl come to me?

It was when I found out about these mates of my brothers, how Lee had picked them, how they were now here in Song... that's when I started to panic a bit.

If she was in Song I'd be faced with her soon. Would she like me? Will I like her? So many things played through my head, but I kept a calm exterior.

I didn't know it that night... the night I was stressed and needed some healing. I went to the healing garden that night. It was a small garden, a large bath made of onyx stone with a stone statue of a maiden that poured water out of a fancy jug into the bath. The lights of the garden twinkled around, I preferred to bathe at night here. It was just.. relaxing. Plus the soft scents of the flowers always calmed me.

I removed my clothing and bathed keeping my eyes closed mostly and just letting my mind rest at ease. The sounds of nature and the scent of flowers helping me be at peace. At least, until a new scent suddenly hit me. I breathed in, trying to pin point it. I opened my eyes and looked at the hedge in front of me, still trying to detect the scent. It was like honey... mixed with coconut. It was a light smell though, so it might not have been coconut but I could definitely smell the sweet honey scent.

Whoever it was sneaking around the garden with the intoxicating smell was clearly going to be getting an eye full. And I was gladly going to give it to them. I turned, and slowing rose up a bit out of the water. I figured if they're sneaking around, they're clearly trying to peep on their King... fine. Have a look..

As soon as I turned to the hedge again, naked and wet to give whoever it was a show... the scent faded. I laughed to myself, clearly the little dove got scared and ran off. Well that will teach them to peep on their King.

That was before...

Before the meeting room, when that same smell filled my nostrils. The sweet honey scent mixed with something floral, or fruity. I still couldn't tell. But now I knew where it came from. That meeting had enlightened me, but also made me think I should double check. I mean... what if I was wrong? What I just wanted her because I was young and had a sweet tooth? I needed to make sure if she was the one.. and if she is, then she will be punished for peeping on me.