Escape

(Lee's POV)

"No, Aaron was the third to die in the ember flames of Scorn island's Volcano. He was seeking truth but found death instead." I explained as Amethyst sat across from me sipping her tea.

"Well that just doesn't make sense, I mean... why the hell throw yourself into a volcano for knowledge or 'truth' as you put it?" Citrine asked as she set down a slice of angel cake in front of both Amethyst and myself.

"He was thinking too highly of himself and needed to be humbled. He was given those tests during his climb up the volcano. The gods were testing him but he still held onto this idea that he was above it all. So like the other two before him, he fell to his death into the volcano." Amethyst said. I nodded to her, pleased that she had paid attention while I was reading the old story.

"Yeah.. that still doesn't make it make any more sense to me." Citrine responded as she took her seat and stabbed her piece of cake with her fork.

"It's like your fairy tails on earth. Though ours have more merit most of the time. The lessons to be learned are humility and acceptance of ones self." I replied, sticking my fork into the slice of cake.

"It's still a weird story." Citrine added as she began to eat her slice of cake.

"I like it, being humbled is a good thing. When you think too highly of yourself things always go wrong. There's a difference between confidence and thinking you're above everything, even the blessings in life you've been given." Amethyst spoke softly, but clearly. I smiled at her and nodded.
We'd been here for a long time it felt like. It might have only been a handful of months but it was feeling like years.

We spent most of our time reading, Amethyst had busied herself with learning to knit with the yarn and supplies the old couple gave her. Citrine mostly looked at the cook books and tried to get better at cooking on what little we had down here in our bunker. The elder couple had given us plenty of supplies and Citrine often gave them some of the things she made, mostly muffins and baked goods.

Every now and then one of the guards would come to let me know of any messages from our Kings. Most recently we'd been told that Jungkook was called away with Emerald. I was pleased those two were getting along well but I had hoped to be present for their union. I knew it had to be done as soon as possible though and I didn't hold it against them.

Another way to kill time was playing card games, Citrine had a deck of cards she brought with her. Before I found her, Citrine was a young woman in the casino scene. She was hired at 18 to be a deck girl, made to wear a skimpy outfits and be eye candy while she dealt out cards. She was propositioned by her boss. He promised her a good life if she agreed to be his baby girl. What she didn't know was that he was married, once she found that out she put a stop to their arrangement. Once she did she was threatened and forced to quit her job. She then sent every picture she had of him and her to his wife one night. She was hunted down and when I found her she was badly beaten in an ally. I took her to the hospital and paid for her to stay there till she was recovered. Being around as long as I've been you manage to accumulate friends, my friends made sure she was okay and healing up.
I would visit her every day, till she was released. Then I gave her an opportunity to start over, clean slate.
So here we were, playing a game like any other evening after dinner.

"Go fish." Amethyst said with a smile.

"Can't we play something other than go-fish for once?" I asked, and I really shouldn't have. Citrine glared at me a bit.

"Ames doesn't know how to play black jack or poker, and you hate war.... So go-fish it is." She replied with a little bit of her signature attitude before flipping her goldenrod hair over her shoulder.