sports, current and old alike

Year: 2018

Rory

It had been 3 months since mom passed away. The funeral was sad and I cried a lot. The rough patch never leaves you. The pain never leaves you. The state of depression I was in hurt more than anything.

I decided to go clean for my mum though. I decided to get my arms tattooed fully.

I got a marigold for my mum, as tribute to her name: Megan Marigold.

I finally had a tattoo sleeve. I loved it. It also helped me to not cut my arms.

I hadn't been to school for 3 months, none of my siblings had for the first month but went for the next 2. I, along with everyone else, easily caught up with all my lessons online. In that time I had managed to work at Elizabeth's Headquarters.

Working after your mother just died caused a lot of problems from people who didn't understand me.

We had to find ways to dissolve our pain and anger and I found it best to do it through work and sport. Education was something that I could chin whether I liked it or not. I went to work occasionally but spent most of my days, when most people around my age were in school, in the gym.

Taekwondo, MMA, weightlifting and gymnastics had been my top priorities.

I also got a call from one of my old sports instructors in England. They needed me on the American team ASAP. I didn't want to do that seeing as it would cause the spotlight to be on me but I promised them before I left that I'd do it if worst came to worst. I even tried to tell them that I had got tattoos and that it would take away the aesthetic of a ballerina but they laughed. They told me that didn't matter and that I was still me and if it really bothered me, that I could wear long sleeves. Drat.

So, I'm back in dance: mostly ballet and contemporary and I'm going on to the rink soon. Joy.

When I say soon. I meant now.

I wrapped my ankles securely and put my nylons on. I made sure my laces were undone enough so that I could put the skates on my feet without squeezing them. I then laced them up making sure it got tighter as I went up and then made sure my nylons and leggings were over my beak to conceal my laces.

I made my way to the rink and sat on the stand. I watched the current class and looked at the time at my phone which was on top of my bag.

It was 3:40 meaning I had 20 minutes till my practise.

I sighed knowing there would be girls from my High School here. At least Alanna is here. She was still in the changing rooms.

Alanna. Although beautiful inside and out, bubbly and persistent, I was still better than her in most things. Ice skating was one of them, the problem, for me, is that she might not like me as much because I'm better than her at it.

That was until she decided to make a whole presentation as to why I should get back into it. I wasn't going to show but Alanna was intent on me going, she decided she would convince me one way or another.

I decided the presentation was enough seeing as I had discovered what was next in her list, a sports-free day. I hated those with a passion. It could've done me some good but sports was a lifestyle for me.

I waited for the 20 minutes to be up.

Soon enough I heard voices approaching me and looked up to see Alanna and another couple of girls.

Alanna introduces them as Chiara, Lucianna, Becky, Anoushka and Kareena.

They all smile and wave, I wave back.