fourteen

"do you think he'll like it Dylan?" Lando asks referring to his new helmet design for Jarv's last race. "I think he'll love it. it's a sweet sentiment. it's gonna be so weird that he's not here next year" I tell him as I peck his lips before we walk out of his drivers trailer and head into the garage.

"Jarv! I wanna show you something" Lando giggles as he grabs the helmet and I start recording Jarv's reaction. "as we all know it's your last race, and I thought I'd honour you-" Lando says before turning the helmet and shows Jarv the design and bursts out laughing. "it's one of my favourite quotes of yours, of course you get to keep it after this weekend" Lando tells him with a smiles as they both continue laughing. "are you serious?" Jarv asks shocked. "yeah of course man, you'll be deeply missed next season" Lando tells him before they share a hug. I stop the video and quickly slide my phone into the back pocket of my jeans before walking up the pair and gives Jarv a quick hug.

"you'll be missed Jarv, it's gonna be weird not seeing you here next season" I chuckle "I know, who will possibly put up with his bullshit?" Jarv asks referring to Lando with a chuckle. "I have no idea, I mean I do it so it can't be that hard" I giggle "that's true, and we all internally applaud you for it" he replies chuckling as Lando looks at me pretending to be offended. "wow, my girlfriend and race engineer are turning against me" he sarcastically scoffs before breaking into a fit of giggles. "I love you and you know it. I'm gonna go do your job!" I giggle giving Lando a kiss before leaving the driver and his team to work before I grab a pair of headphones and sit down in the back of the garage and watch as the team prepares for the practice session.

--------------------

"alright Lando, box this lap. box this lap" Jarv says as I listen through the big headphones as the final practice session ended before qualifying lated tonight. I slide the headphones off my head and grab my phone to send a quick text to Lando, who I assume will see the message later once he's out of the car.

To: Lando <3: going to see Cate at Toro, will be back before Quali, love you xx

I slightly adjust the pass around my neck before making my way out of the garage and I walk down the paddock road before walking up to the Toro Rosso garage to find Cate standing in the back with a double of Pierre's helmet. "hey cate!" I smile giving her a hug trying to avoid disturbing those around us "hello love! how are you?" she asks happily "good good, doing any and everything in my power to avoid Stroll since I kicked him in the balls in Brazil" I cringe at the memory causing Cate's jaw to drop. "what?!" she asks before starting to giggle. "I kicked him in the balls, after he flirted with me in front of Lando and was about to throw a punch if I hadn't stopped him and instead decided to take matters into my own hands" I explain quietly hoping no one has heard what I'm talking about. "Jesus Dylan, who ever knew you were so bad ass" she chuckles giving me a wink. "I'm Russian I can't help it" I shrug giggling. "what are yours and Landos plans for the holidays?" Cate asks "well we have the FIA awards in Paris I think we might spend a few extra days there cause Lando wants to celebrate my birthday, McLaren holiday party, I think we're then spending Christmas with his family, if not I'll probably go to London while he goes with his family, then I think Dubai for New Years. Lando has to go to America for a few days for a convention before he starts training for the 2020 season already" I explain as Cate intently listens. "wow clearly a lot of traveling for you guys" she says shocked with a smile. "yeah but I think it'll be nice, don't get me wrong I love pap and Jarv, I just want my boy to myself. if that makes me selfish oh well, what about you and Pierre where are you guys going?" I ask her. "that doesn't' make you selfish at all! but were going to France, Italy, America and then I think were going to the cayman with his family" she tells me as she watches her boyfriend get ready for the expected tense qualifying session. "that's so sweet! you guys will have a ton of fun, I guarantee" I giggle as we continue our conversation waiting for the qualifying session to start.