thirty-three

"Lando you realise where you're starting right? I honestly do not care about the outcome at this point, I'm proud of you no matter what" I tell Lando as we walk into the paddock and I adjust the leather jacket resting on my shoulders, the vintage band t-shirt tucked into a tan midi skirt and white sneakers resting comfortably around my frame.

"I'm just nervous, I want to do well for them, and for myself and I'm just worried I'll just fuck it up" he tells me as walk into his Driver pod.

"you won't fuck it up baby, what ever is meant to happen will. just trust yourself, you got this" I tell him as we walk into the room with Jon close behind us. Lando quickly starts changing into his fireproof clothes and quickly puts his race suit on and rest it around his hips before laying down on the massage bed and Jon helps him warm up, I remain silent as I let him get into the right headspace before the race begins. I take a photo of Jon stretching his neck, Jon jokingly makes it look as is he's breaking Lando's neck, I giggle a bit before adjusting the mask on my face and watching quietly as Lando continues to prep for his race.

-----------------

"Dylan, you can stay with Helen and Charlotte in the garage if you want" Jon tells me as we all walk into the garage. I nod in confirmation before adjusting my mask as we walk in and I grab a pair of headphones as does Jon and Lando immediately starts to take his mask off whilst his engineer talks to him about the race strategy. his engineer leaves him be and I quickly walk up to him.

"you alright?" I ask him.

"I'm ready" he nods with a smile as he starts to pull on his balaclava

"all I ask is that you come back to me in one piece" I tell him

"always do angel, I love you" he smiles pressing a kiss to my cheek.

"I love you too" I reply before leaving him to get ready for the race, I walk back over to Charlotte and Helen and start a friendly conversation as Lando gets into the car and pulls onto the grid.

------------------------

"don't get me wrong I love watching him race more than anything, but my god I do not miss the pre-race anxiety" I tell the both of them chuckling as the formation lap starts and I rest the headphones over my ears and I'm able to listen to Lando's radio throughout the race

"are you sure it's ok I'm in here?" I ask looking between Charlotte and Helen, who both nod in agreement

"there's no worry hon, you're following all the regulations as us, there's no reason for you to be isolated in his drivers room" Helen tells me as the cars start lining up on the grid. I feel the anxiety start to build in the pit of my stomach just hoping for a safe race. I watch the tv screen in front of all of us closely as the lights go out and the cars speed away from the grid.

Lando gets a decent start but it's obvious that Lewis behind him is faster. I grab onto Charlotte's arm nervously as Lewis nearly hits Lando.

"hes a good driver, he's talented, he'll be safe, don't worry too much" Charlotte reassures me as I start to calm down but continue to nervously fiddle with the cloth of my t-shirt. Perez starts getting closer to Lando, but Lando begins to steadily pull away from him.

"what happens to the car overnight? it seemed faster during qualifying?" I ask Helen and Charlotte standing next to me

"thats typically the case, but Lando knows he also has to preserve the tyres and I think thats moreso the case right now rather than lack of speed but I can't be sure" Helen shrugs as I notice a familiar navy car pull through the pits.

"wait was that a red bull?" I ask again as Helen points me to the tv screen to see max pulling into the pit box and jumping out of the car.

"my god" I mumble as the race continues as Daniel also retires from the race and a few laps later, Lance follows suit, which I cannot say I'm absolutely gutted for him.