fourty-five

"do you know if it'll be a wet or dry start?" I ask Lando as we walk into paddock, the sun starting to break through the storm clouds from yesterday and the horrid wet conditions for qualifying.

"If it stays like this then maybe a dry start but I heard that clouds and possibly rain are supposed to come in so im not entirely sure" he explains as we walk into the Mclaren hospitality and into his driver room for him to prep for the race.

"you alright?" he asks me as I look out the window watching the clouds slowly roll in, and the sun still shining brightly in front of them.

"yeah, just be safe today, ok?" I ask him as I turn to face him as he ties his race suit around his hips

"hey, I'll be alright, I promise" he smiles pulling me into his arms and snaking his arms underneath my jacket and holding onto my t-shirt

"wet races just make me nervous, more than I normally am" I mumble as I wrap my arms around his neck burying my head into his shoulder

"I'll be safe angel, I'll come back in one piece, I promise" he mumbles squeezing me tighter before pressing a kiss to my cheek.

"I love you" I mumble quietly

"I love you too, all will be fine" he replies leaning up to look at me and giving me a kiss.

"alright my anxiety is subdued, go get ready for your race!" I smile kissing his cheek before he lets go of me and I slide the mask over my face before walking out of the driver room and I walk into the McLaren garage and grab a pair of headphones before walking into the back of the garage.

"ciao ladies" i smile to Helen and Charlotte gladly as the team prepares for the race as the rain starts to fall in the pitlane again.

"are we gonna have a wet start?" I ask the two of them.

"more like the damp start, the rain is about to end and the surface won't be able to fully dry before the start so there won't likely be dry tyres at the start, if at all" Helen explains before quickly running of to take photos for the social media

"so he's starting p15?' I ask slightly confused, after the penalties were announced late last night.

"p14, Gasly got a penalty this morning, not entirely sure what for but I do know its happening" Charlotte chuckles I nod in understanding as we watch the drivers get ready to go on track as the rain still lightly falls.

"you alright?" Charlotte asks me, clearly noticing my nervous energy as I bounce slightly on the balls of my feet.

"y-yeah im fine, wet races just make me nervous, I know he's safe. but that doesn't change me nerves, I can't help it" I mumble with a shrug of my shoulders.

"he'll be alright, the race will go smooth I promise"  Charlotte smiles to me as the cars pull out of the garage and run a few installation laps, I watch the drivers pull onto the track and the pitlane lights go green, on the first lap out fo the track, Due to the slick conditions Antonio crashes into the tire wall on the installation lap

"good god" I mumble nervously as they continue showing drivers slowly making their way around the track.

I keep quiet as the installation laps continue and watch closely as George slides into the tyre wall in the pitlane. I squeak slightly in attempts to hold back the shout, I glance over at Charlotte and she chuckles at my reaction.

"breathe for me hon, I don't need to call the medics for you do I?" she asks with a slight chuckle

"no no no I'm fine, just a bit of pre race nerves, I'll be alright" I smile at her under my mask as I shake my hands in hopes of releasing nervous energy as the teams prepare on the grid