chapter 12

Izumi was sitting in the small restaurant she had chosen nervously looking around while she played with some strands of her long brown hair, as she always did when she was nervous. She kept her eyes on the door, expecting to see Itachi walk in any minute now. She had gotten there a little earlier than the time they agreed. She was a little anxious and her heart was speeding up as time passed by and she was starting to worry he wouldn't show up, which didn't make any sense, since he had been the one to look for her, asking to see her.

She leaned her head on her open palm, and waited, as the waiter eyed her, probably worried that she wouldn't even order and just walk out.

Her cell phone notified her of a new message, and she smiled as she read it was from Genma, forgetting about the waiter, and Itachi's unusual delay, she thought about her new boyfriend that was at home, worried about her, and probably unhappy that she was meeting her ex. He had not said anything to her about it, aware that she needed to see him, but she suspected that he didn't like it at all, probably afraid that Itachi wanted her back, or that she would be affected by seeing the man that had been such a large part of her life.

"Izumi" She raised her head hearing someone calling her, and almost gasped when she noticed the Uchiha standing right in front of the table looking down at her. She grinned at him, surprised that she hadn't heard him approaching.

"Itachi! I didn't notice you were here" she said putting her phone down, and focusing on the black haired man.

He was still as handsome and serious as ever, but his face held the familiar kindness she knew was part of him. She felt guilty all of a sudden, knowing she had hurt him and put that distance between them, it felt funny now that he was there in front of her, to realize just how deep the gap between them was.

She stood up, as he was about to sit, wondering if she should hug him, or kiss his cheek, she didn't know how to greet an ex boyfriend, and neither did he apparently, he looked as if he was thinking hard about something. He must of understood what she was worried about, and offered her his hand. A handshake, boy, could things get more awkward? Izumi wanted to slap herself but Itachi looked perfectly composed, a perfect Uchiha man, and sje couldn't help but wish that she could read his mind and learn what he was really thinking about. Itachi on the other hand relaxed, he was sure the worst was over, and decided that it was time to move from the pleasantries, and concentrate on the real reason he had wanted to see her. Planning was a part of his life, he couldn't help it, and it made him feel confident of having the situation completely under control.

Izumi smiled kindly as she sat down, taking a sip of water, trying to regain a bit of strength, she should have known that facing her ex lover wouldn't be an easy task.

The black haired man, barely replicated her smile with one of his own, glad of possessing the infamous Uchiha genes that made him look calm and composed when he felt totally the opposite without anyone suspecting.

"How have you been?" she asked once they got over the first minutes of uneasiness, her smile still in place, but it didn't reflect her eyes and he knew she wasn't as comfortable as she looked.

He studied her, trying to sort out what he was feeling amongst the chaos in his heart and mind. She was the same, still beautiful, outgoing Izumi, but she had this glow of happiness around her she never had when they were together, and he had to admit, it stung a bit. He realized that she might not have been as happy when it was him by her side, and that he had made some mistakes too at some point. He had never pointed the finger at himself, never admitting that he might have been a part of her distancing himself from him. He jad always blamed it on something else, their distancr