chapter 30

Naruko ran out almost immediately, not giving the time to Itachi to justify himself or to apologize, if he had even considered doing so, and in her current mood, she didn't think he would do so. As she had thought earlier, he might even be glad to be rid of her.

She didn't feel like staying at the party, and didn't want to meet any of her friends, who would surely ask questions and make comments about her situation, or her appearance (Ino) and she was in no way feeling up to that, and the same with her parents. She would just walk home, it wasn't that far, and she was better off without those mortal traps she had been wearing, she had barely registered she was barefooted, and couldn't get herself to care. Now the important thing for her to do was to get to the elevator without being noticed, and that would be the most arduous thing to do, mostly because almost everyone knew who she

She walked amongst the crowd again, hiding behind people, and avoiding empty spaces, her head low, avoiding any type of eye contact, it was hard, but she was relieved when she saw the little foyer where she had gone earlier to cool down was closer now, the elevator just on the other side of the door, she was surprised she had actually managed to get out so easily.

She called for the elevator, praying for it to come soon, she really wanted to leave, she couldn't stand being there another minute, she needed to breathe fresh air and get her mind in order, and then resign herself that she might had just lost Itachi. It wasn't in her personality to give up so easily, not without a fight, not without giving her all into something, but what could she do when it was so obviously evident she had lost from the beginning? All she wished to do now, was get in bed, and be depressed. Heartbreak sure sucked.

"Naruko!" The deep voice sounded almost relieved, and she turned to face the same man she had been running away from, she had to admit she was surprised, she didn't think he would care enough to actually run after her. But here he was, looking at her with his dark eyes, and she almost felt like giving in, but she had to be strong, she couldn't let herself be fooled.

"What the hell are you doing here? Go back to your girlfriend, I am sure it's where you want to be anyway"

He took a few steps, towards her, and she instinctively backed into the wall next to the elevator's doors. Why was the damn thing taking so long anyway? She didn't really feel like confronting him, the more she stared at him , the angrier she got, her firey side flaring up inside of her, and she just didn't feel like she had enough energy for that, or strength.

"You're my girlfriend, Naruko" he answered, his hand trying to get a hold of her, but she immediately moved further, so he couldn't reach her, leaving him trying to grab air. She was definitely losing it, and he looked as if he wasn't even trying to say something to calm her, or reassure her, it didn't make things better.

"Doesn't look like it to me" she was really angry, the resentment was seeping through every fiber of her body, and he was caught by surprise by that. It was unlike her, she was forgiving and understanding, and he realized she must be really hurt to act that way.

"Let me explain-"

"There's nothing to explain, I know what I saw! I might not be that bright, but I'm not stupid!"

She interrupted him with a scoff, turning her head to avoid meeting his heated gaze, it made her melt, despite her anger, and she didn't want that.

"It's not what it looked like, it's a big misunderstanding-"

"I don't have to stand here and listen to you!" she was going to take the fucking stairs, she didn't care if she had to walk down for a non defined number of steps, she definitively wasn't going to sit there and let him make a fool of her, she might just try to punch him, and she really wanted to avoid that.