Chapter 16: The Nightmare

Veronica Sawyer's POV

It was now the night before I got to leave and I hadn't slept since JD came in our room.

"Veronica you should really try to sleep tonight, I know you haven't slept for a couple nights." Heather told me.

"Yeah, and I'm also supposed to take one of those pills for my anxiety everyday but I haven't taken them once." I realize this was the wrong thing to say after I had already said it.

"You haven't taken them?" She sounded worried. I shook my head. "Ok well please at least try to sleep." I looked up at her and the nodded. I closed my eyes.

I was in this same room next to Heather and there he was but this time his gun was against her head. He pulled the trigger and then he moved the gun over to my head. He pulled the trigger again.

That's when I woke up. I looked over expecting to see Heather but she wasn't there. I started to cry. That's when the bathroom door opened. "Veronica, what's wrong?" She ran over to me and then got back into bed. I wrapped my arms around her and pulled her into a tight hug. "It's 4 a.m. we should really go back to bed." I shook my head. I kissed Heather on the lips, it had been so long since the last time my lips touched hers. I ended up sitting in Heather's arms until her mom got there at 8 that morning.

We ended up leaving around 9 and I was so happy to go. Heather had already bothered me about taking those pills, mostly about how I hadn't taken them. When we got home I fell asleep on the couch.

But the same nightmare kept waking me up. I woke up three times feeling clammy, shaking, and crying before I decided I wasn't going to be able to sleep. Heather and I ended up watching movies together until dinner because I had slept through lunch.

We sat down at the table with Heather's mom. Maggie was up in her room, and there was no sign of her coming down and joining us. All three of us sat there just pushing around our food until Heather's mom broke the silence.

"I wanted to talk to you girls about school." We both looked up to show we were listening and then she continued talking. "Since next week starts Christmas break they're not gonna send you to another school yet, but when break is over they're going to send the five of you to Defiance High."

We both nodded and that was the end of that conversation. After almost five more minutes of pushing our food around we got up and left the table. We went to Heather's room, we cuddled while watching movies and pretended that everything was ok.