Chapter 57: Easter Dinner

⚠️ Trigger Warning, this chapter uses homophobic slurs ⚠️

Veronica Sawyer's Pov

Heather was gently running her brush through my hair, "Heather, does your family know that we're dating?"

"No."

"Do they know you're a lesbian?"

"No."

"Are you gonna tell them about us?"

"Well yeah, they deserve to know why you're gonna be there."

"A-Are they homophobic?"

"I'm not really sure... but hey! We'll be fine." She pressed a kiss to my cheek.

"Whatever you say." I whisper.

The car ride was short, probably only 30 minutes. It was everyone but Heather's dad, he had to go back to work. We got out of the car and Heather grabbed my hand before we walked in. Right away we went to the table to eat, there had to be at least 70 people here. Which was kind of crazy, normally when my family went to stuff like this there were around 30.

Dinner was going well until someone asked, "So Heather, who's your friend?"

Heather stood up and when she did she put her arm around my waist so that I stood up too. I looked down and started to fidget with the bracelet that Heather got me for my birthday. It was gold and had small hearts on it, "Well this is Veronica..." She paused for a second, "... we've been umm dating for around 7 months."

I heard a lot of gasps and a couple scoffs, "Oh, Heather..." her grandma was at a loss for words, "I'd like to talk to you later."

Heather smile warmly and then we sat back down. She moved her hand from my waist to my thigh.

Everyone went back to eating but we were done so we went and sat in the living room. Her grandma came up to us, "Heather, can I talk to you now, in my room?" she nodded. She stood up and then grabbed my hand. Her grandma turned around, "Heather, I meant just you am me."

"What ever you have to say to me you can say to her too grandma."

We walked upstairs and eventually made it to her room and then we sat down on the bed, "No, you stand." she said pointing to me.

I stood up but Heather pulled me back down, "No grandma, she gets to sit."

She set a hand on Heather's thigh, "Heather hunny, you know this is just a phase, right?"

"Grandma, this isn't a phase, we've been together for 7 mon-"

"No you'll grow out of it. I honestly find it embarrassing to share the same last name as you right now darling."

"I'm not gonna grow out of it, and mom and dad are fine with it-"

"Heather listen to me. This is disgusting, you two are disgusting. I know you Heather, and my Heather would never date a dyke like her." she pointed at me.

"Grandma, you will call her Veronica not a dyke, I am very much in love with Veronica. She is not going anywhere anytime soon!" Heather was practically screaming, I'm positive the people downstairs could hear her.

"HEATHER, YOU'RE NOT GONNA DATE A DYKE, OK? THAT'S NOT HOW YOU WERE RAISED, YOU'RE STRAIGHT HEATHER. AND WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU CHOOSE HER OF ALL PEOPLE, SHE'S NOT PRETTY, I HAVEN'T HEARD HER SAY ANYTHING ALL DAY, I DOUBT SHE'S SMARTER THAN YOU, SHE'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU!" I couldn't breathe and I felt tear start to run down my cheeks. I stood up and walked out of the room before running downstairs.

I could hear Heather scream, "LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE." but her grandma just kept lecturing her.

Heather's mom met me at the bottom of the stairs, "Veronica are you ok?" I quickly nodded before running out the front door and making my way over to the curb before I sat down. I tried to slow down my breathing but I couldn't. This went a lot worse then I thought it would have. Of corse her family is homophobic.

I heard the door open and saw Heather's mom and someone else sit down next to me. Heather's mom handed me a cup of water, "Veronica you need to breathe hun."

The other woman grabbed my hand, "Breathe with me ok? In, out, in, out." Once I had calmed down she introduced herself, "I'm Heather's Aunt, Vicky. My son, Jason is your age." I nodded, "I think it's great that Heather has found some she loves so much." I look up at her, I wasn't quite sure what she meant, "Heather's mom has told me stories." I nodded.

The door opened again and I saw Heather, I felt my eyes start to water again. Heather ran over to me and brought me into a hug, "Please don't cry again." she wiped the tears off my face, "Do you wanna go back inside?"

"I g-guess."

She put her arm around my waist again, "If you don't want to you to-"

I cut her off with a kiss, "I want to."

We walked back in and right away everyone crowded around us, "Are you both going to Harvard?" I nodded.

"You guys are really cute together!" Someone said.

Heather leaded down close to my ear, "Do you wanna go upstairs, to get away from everyone?" I nodded and then we walked upstairs and found an empty bedroom.

I laid down on the bed and Heather laid down next to me. I clung to her and let myself drift to sleep.