OF COFFEE AND SWEETS III

Genre: Convenient store theme

Part III

Since a long time ago, Sadie's frequent walks to the convenience store no longer gave her the small comforts she once felt, but she wasn't entirely sure what the reasons were behind her downcast mood either (Maybe feeling uneasy to know the robotic chime wouldn't sound even after spending more than five necessary minutes dawdling in the store, wistfully hoping just to see a certain hungry someone coming in and devouring the supplies from the chocolate shelves... How do you categorize these reasons to one? Lovesick? No no no. Friendsick?).

But nonetheless, the main reason why she visited the store was to get her coffee. And even if she couldn't see that someone, Millie was good company too. Well, only during the times when she didn't apply her dramatic idea on Sadie's lack-of-love life.

And here Sadie was tonight with the usual routine again. Climbed down the stairs, walked down the empty streets and heading to the direction where the bright lights of the convenience store should be. Sadie had no idea how far or how long she had walked, but she knew for certain that if she was to glance to the right after taking two more steps, she would naturally see the light from the convenience store just ahead.

But something in her automated routine changed. The crisp, clean air wasn't the problem, neither was the eerie quietness of the neighborhood. It was the darkness before Sadie  that didn't match her usual customary, and it took two blinks and five seconds till she realized the convenience store in front of her was pitch black inside.

A little anxious, Sadie sprinted towards the entrance, the glass door betraying her for the first time and remained closed together, not allowing her in. She peered through the glass panes, to see nothing but dark shadows casted by tall shelves and the missing happy Millie who always greeted her without fail.

Throughout her stay after she moved out from her dorm, she had never seen the store ever closed, but why now...? As she began to find clues, her head tilted to a poster that was stuck on the wall next to the door and she began to read.

CLOSED TODAY
DUE TO ELECTRIC FAULT.
SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE.

The owner better be sorry because Sadie couldn't get her coffee, be able to see Millie, and also got a near panic attack when she thought the store was about to be demolished and the only link she had with Finn was gone.

What a bummer.

She patted the glass door in disappointment and turned to the sidewalks, her feet shuffling aimlessly on the ground. If she stuck to her standards, she would be spending around ten to fifteen minutes of her time in the store. So for the next ten to fifteen minutes now, she had no idea what to do. Suddenly feeling exhausted out of the blue, she stepped down the curb and slumped onto the step, her legs stretched out like a pair of chopsticks.