Chapter 8

"Let's dance!" Hailee insists. I know that's code for 'let's talk'.

"Oh! Good idea." Aaliyah is all too happy to join us. I'm sure she wants in on 'the talk' as well.

"Want me to join you?" Niall asks Hailee, not looking like he really wants to. He's been talking to Zayn and Sean.

I know she wont want him to because she wants to talk to me about his brother.

"No." She gives him a kiss and I barely hear her say, "You can watch me, though."

I smile and shake my head at them as I get up to dance with Aaliyah and Hailee. Lilly joins us and together us girls head to the dance floor together.

"So what's going on with you and Shawn?" Hailee gets right to the point as she pulls me towards her. Aaliyah comes closer too so she can hear.

"Nothing." I tell them honestly. "I'm just having fun, we're all out having fun."

"Fun?" She questions knowing I would never act this way, "With Shawn?" she asks before I can finish my thoughts.

"Don't worry, Hailee, nothing's going to happen."

"Like what?" She asks innocently.

"Is it bad that we're friendly?" I avoid her question. I'm sure she saw the way Shawn and I were dancing earlier.

"It's not bad." Aaliyah chimes in. "It's not bad at all, it's great."

"It's just not like you to act this way, towards Shawn of all people." I know Hailee is worried because she lives with us and she knows how I feel about Shawn Mendes. I also know she'd be okay if I did want to explore anything with Shawn because her and Niall tried to get us out on a double date with them once when we first met. That's when I learned what kind of guy he was... She probably just thinks I'm too drunk to realize what I'm doing tonight and she doesn't want me to regret anything tomorrow.

"He's not such a bad guy after all." I explain with a shrug.

We giggle and then begin dancing as a group.

As I dance, I start to think about Shawn, I can't help it. He's acting different tonight, not the cocky guy who is always trying to get into my panties. He's being very sweet and affectionate towards me. I don't know if it's an act but I hope it's not.The music is so loud and pulsing, the thumping bass feels as if it's a part of me. Thankfully the dance floor isn't as crowded as it was earlier. I've never been a good dancer, spending my time more with my books and studies, but this is fun. Why I wasn't young and dumb, I'll never know.

Getting lost in the crazy uncoordinated rhythm I've set, I surrender to the music.

I shake my head and giggle as Niall comes up behind Hailee and starts to dance with her. They both look so happy and so in love.

It's not long before Sean and Zayn join us and begin to dance with their previous dance partners. I expect Shawn soon, but then I remember he's probably held up at the bar getting my drink. It is pretty busy tonight since it's opening night and all.

I look over at the bar but I don't see him so I look towards our table but he's not there either.

Where did he go?

Maybe he went to the bathroom. I go back to dancing by myself, closing my eyes and getting lost once again.

Someone puts their hands on my hips. I jump in surprise like I did before when Shawn touched me. I'm glad he's back, it was fun dancing with him earlier and I don't want to look out of place being the only one without a partner. It's easier to blend in when you have a partner and nobody can tell you suck at dancing.