Chapter 31

When I finished agreeing to the deal last night, I knew I couldn't go home after that. I knew Camila would be sleeping and I couldn't sleep next to her, not after what I did. I already felt like the world's biggest asshole. Instead of calling Camila to pick me up, I called Zayn and crashed on his couch. I planned on telling Camila what I did, I didn't know how or when, but I knew I wanted to tell her in private. I feel like shit now with how she's finding out. The only reason why I'm saying anything to my parents is because my mother would kill me if I ran off and got married.

"You do know there will be a prenup." I hear my father say to Lauren, daughter of John White, owner of Whites Timber and the man with the money. I'm not sure why he's saying this when he knows I don't have anything to bring into this marriage except his Mendes name.

Lauren takes what my father said is stride, happily telling him all about her status and where she comes from. It seems Mr. White gave his daughter an ultimatum. Apparently she was getting older and hadn't settled down yet so he told her she was going to be cut off unless she got married. But it couldn't be to just anyone or she would marry her boyfriend Isaac. It had to be someone he approved of and what higher approval than from a Mendes. Apparently Mr. White thinks fondly of my parents. And that's the proposition she offered to me. I'm to pretend to be her husband for 10 months, though it would be a legitimate marriage by law, after that we can divorce and act as if we never knew each other. She's going to pay me $100,000, $10,000 per month. She's going to buy the company I'm after and sign it over to me after 10 months of marriage. After I heard what she wanted, I was going to agree to the double she offered, but that would mean being married to her for longer and I don't want to be married to her any longer than I absolutely have to be.

"Did you knock her up?" Niall boldly asks and everyone's eyes instantly widen and look at me.

"NO." I tell them, only looking at Camila. "We've never had sex." I wouldn't cheat on you, baby. 

"I'm old fashioned." Lauren explains. It's a lie because she tried to seduce me, even offering me a ride back to her place.

Camila looks like her dog just died, came back to life and died again, this time in front of her.

"I don't understand why the rush," My father goes on to say, "If this is about what I said in regards to your trust fund-"

I'm no longer listening to my father because Camila gets up and sneaks out of the room without saying anything. Nobody noticed her because all eyes are on me and the girl who is still holding onto my arm, but I sure saw her, because she's the only thing I've been able to keep my eyes on.

"I'll be right back." I tell everyone as I pry Lauren's hands off my arm and rush to follow Camila.

AaliyahPOV-

I cannot believe my brother! He brings home a girl that nobody knows and now suddenly they're engaged? Just last week he was flirting with Camila at the charity event car-wash. And I know they've been seeing each other, I know they have feelings for each other, so why is Shawn doing this? No wonder Camila looks so heartbroken. How could Shawn do this to her?! He's done a lot of stupid things in his life that were questionable but this?!

I look over at Camila and she does look so heartbroken. She's sitting right next to me, trying her hardest not to cry, the poor thing. I would hold her hand for comfort but she has both her hands in her lap, trying not to look at Shawn and this... this... this troll!

"I don't understand why the rush," Our father goes on to say, it's obvious he doesn't approve of this speedy marriage either. "If this is about what I said in regards to your trust fund, why don't we go to my office and you can show me your business plan, perhaps we can-" Dad suddenly stops talking when Shawn walks out.