Chapter 9

"You're going?" Hailee and Niall are next to join us when we're almost to the exit.

"Yes," Shawn is the one to answer them, holding the door open for Aaliyah and I.

"Good, we'll come with you." Hailee says, "We can share a taxi."

"Mila." Aaliyah whines, pulling me towards her.

"Actually," I say to Hailee as we all walk out. "I'm staying with Aaliyah tonight. Remember."

"Oh," Hailee looks at Shawn then back to me. "Okay."

I know she's wondering if Shawn is going home or if he's going to stay at his parents' house tonight, with me. The answer is decided when Shawn climbs in the cab with Aaliyah and I.

Hailee and Niall share a cab, Zayn drove himself and didn't drink but the one beer, Lilly and Sean are the only ones who end up staying at the club.

It's surprisingly quiet as we ride towards the Mendes's house.

The hand Shawn used to hit the guy is closest to me so I gently grab hold and pull it to me so I can inspect the damage. He lets me, only flinching slightly as my finger gently brushes against his knuckles.

"I can't believe you hit the guy." I say more to myself. I've never had anyone defend my honor before.

"He put his hands on you," He explains like it should be enough of an answer. "You didn't want him to."

"He didn't hurt me, Shawn." I reassure him. "He was just inappropriate."

"Exactly."

"Thank you." I look up at him and smile shyly. "No one's ever, I mean, I've never needed someone to before..."

It's dark and I can only see him for a split seconds as we pass under a street like, but the way he's looking at me makes me blush and look away, back at his hand that is still resting on my lap.

"It'll probably bruise, ya know." I tell him of his knuckles as I continue to hold his hand. He did hit the guy awfully hard.

"Totally worth it." He assures me.
I smile in the dark and look towards Aaliyah when I remember she's with us and is being totally quiet. Too quiet. I don't know why, but I expected her to be watching our interaction intently, but I giggle when I see she's actually passed out which explains why she's being so quiet. And she wanted to stay at the club.

I snuggle against Shawn, resting my head on his shoulder as I hold his arm. He moves his hand to hold my thigh and I instantly feel the warmth radiating off of him. Nuzzling my nose against his chest, I enjoy how amazing he smells, but quickly stop when I feel his body tense up.

"Sorry." I whisper.

Another smile escapes me when I feel his lips press against my hair.

Yawning, I realize how tired I really am and how affected I am by the alcohol I consumed. Thankfully Shawn never returned with my drink to chase the shots so I didn't have as many as the others but I'm still pretty buzzed.

Remembering why he didn't return with my drink puts me in a sour mood again but not enough for me to move away from him, not that I even have the energy to do so.

...

"Wake up, Mila." Shawn gently shakes me.

Reluctantly I open my eyes and see we've arrived back at the Mendes's home.

"Do I need to carry you too?" Shawn asks.

I shake my head no and look next to me to see Aaliyah still passed out, lightly snoring now.