C H A P T E R O N E

C H A P T E R O N E
Dig Dug

C H A P T E R   O N E Dig Dug

________________________

In the year 1984, thirteen year old Roni sat on the floor of her room, drawing on her blue jeans. Creating red-orange flames along the sides. Her blue eyes are focused and her lips poke out slightly.

It's been almost a year since the disappearance and reappearance of Will Byers. To Hawkins and the rest of the world who tuned in to hear about the missing boy, it was a miracle that he suddenly appeared.

But his friends and family, Will didn't actually appear and disappear suddenly. He was in another dimension called the Upside Down. A terrible place where monsters like the Demogorgon stayed and ate anyone or thing that came in.

Thanks to a strange friend the group of kids found in search of Will, the Demogorgon was killed. But also at the loss of that friend. They all mourned, some more than others, but continued on in life. The kids matured and grew into teenagers now.

Roni was brought out from her concentration when a voice called from under her bed. "Roni. Roooooni! Roni-Anne!" Dustin yelled. The blonde reached underneath the bed and pulled up the antenna.

"What Dustin!?"

"Ah, geez, don't be so loud," He groaned. Roni rolled her eyes.

"Don't be so annoying. What do you want anyway?" She pulls up her knees to her chest.

"What's your count?"

Roni knits her dark eyebrows together. "My count for what?"

"The count for wha- The count for the arcade, remember?!" He sighs in frustration. Roni's baby blue eyes widen.

"Crap, Crap! I totally forgot. Just-just give me ten minutes!" Roni pulls down the antenna and runs around the room frantically in search for money. She grabbed her piggy-bank that was riddled with stickers.

She pours it out on her bed. It empties out 3 pennies. Roni sighs deeply and gets a bright idea and runs out of the room, but stops when she sees her outfit choice. Looney Tunes pajama bottoms and a light green t-shirt.

Roni runs back into the room and picks up all the shirts that were thrown about the room and sniffs them. But groans when all of them don't meet the clean standard. She opens the drawer of her mahogany dresser and pulls out a green sweater, sliding it over her torso.

She throws on a pair of blue jeans and her signature black Doc Martens. Roni grabs her dark blue backpack and heads out of her room. She notices her mother washing dishes in the kitchen and puts on her nervous face.

"Uh, mother, can I have five dollars?" Roni asks, rubbing her hands. Her mother turns around and stares at her daughter with her eyebrows raised.

"Why?" She dries off her hands, sparing a glance at her manicured nails and leans on the counter top. Roni bites her lip nervously.