C H A P T E R T W E N T Y - T W O

Two Words

C H A P T E R   T W E N T Y - T W OTwo Words

___________________________

The first person to see her was Mr. Clarke. He smiles warmly. "Veronica, you look pretty."

"The wonders of makeup Mr. Clarke," Roni signs whatever thing she has to and enters the dance. It was decorated with light blue and white streamers and hanging lights. "Okay, this isn't that stupid." She whispers.

The hairs on the back of her neck stood on end. Her blue eyes filter over the crowd of dancing kids and fall on the Party sitting at a table nearby. Mike is the first to speak up when she walks over to them. "Roni?" Mike exclaimed. Roni knits her eyebrows in confusion. "First Dustin, now you, what happened?"

"It's called dressing up, ever heard of it?" Roni replies, crosses her arms over her chest.

"You're wearing pink," Lucas comments.

"So what?" Roni spoke.

"I thought you said you would rather pull out your own teeth than wear pink," Will recalled.

"Can a girl change her mind?"

Mike shrugs. "It's not that we don't like it, it's just weird. But it does look nice,"

"Well, thank you, Wheeler," Roni nods. She looks over at Max and smiles. "You look great, too, Max."

"Thanks, you too," Max smiles shyly. Next thing they know, they change the music to a slow song. Roni holds herself and avoids the gaze of a certain person and watched her classmates pair off and begin dancing.

Lucas turns to ask Max to dance. Dustin watches, his blue eyes fill with hurt. Max pulls Lucas to the dance floor and they sway. A girl suddenly waltzes up to Will and asks him to dance. Will stutters and peers at his friends for help. Roni pushes him gently forward. And they too, pair off.

Roni knew the girl Dustin wanted to dance with and she was already dancing with someone else. She reaches up to touch his shoulder but backs away. Roni scurries to the punch bowl and lays her palms flat on the table. "I-I can't do this, Nancy."

"You can do it. It's just dancing, I'm sure your-" Nancy said.

"No, no. That's not it. I'm just...not like you."

Nancy furrows her eyebrows in confusion. "What do you mean?"

"I'm not...a girl that all the boys fall over. I made sure that they were in fear of me," Roni spoke hesitantly. Nancy's eyes widen and she realized what she was saying.

It dawned on her the real reason Roni made sure made people afraid of her. She racked her brain. "Listen, Roni. It's just a boy. You...you have an ax," Nancy told her.

"I do," Roni responds unsurely.

"And you fought a Demogorgon twice," Nancy holds up two fingers.