C H A P T E R F O U R T E E N

C H A P T E R   F O U R T E E N
The Rule of Law

C H A P T E R   F O U R T E E NThe Rule of Law

____________________________

The cold air blew into the group's faces. Only a few recognized it. They followed the Demogorgon babies somewhat close behind. Too close and they would see them, and too far and they would lose them.

Roni grips her axe tightly, glancing around every few seconds. Her mind was stuck on what happened on the bus. It made her almost shake. Something about being stuck like sardines in a can, Roni didn't like. She wipes the guts of the Demogorgon off her cheek roughly.

"You're positive that was Dart?" Lucas asked.

"Yes. He had the same exact yellow pattern on his butt," Dustin answers firmly.

"He was tiny two days ago," Max said.

"Well, he's molted three times already," Dustin explains. Roni nodded along.

"When's he gonna molt again?"

"It's gotta be soon."

Roni sighed deeply. The baby Demogorgon's were already pretty big and soon Dart's gonna grow again. Roni's seen a fully grown Demogorgon,and it terrorized the town and ate all the bad guys in the school that night and  most importantly, it kidnapped one friend and caused another friend's death. So she couldn't imagine all the destruction babies would do.

"Yeah, and he's gonna eat a lot more than just cats," Steve added.

Lucas stops immediately, placing a hand on Dustin's shoulder. "Wait, a cat? Dart ate a cat?" Roni puts a hand on her face.

"No, what? No," Dustin shakes his head.

"What are you talking about? He ate Mews," Steve spoke obliviously.

"Mews? Who's Mews?" Max looks up at Steve.

"Dustin's cat," Roni answers.

"Steve! Roni!" Dustin yells. Roni shrugs. The secret was practically out already, why does it matter now?

"I knew it! You kept him!" Lucas shouts. Dustin again tries to deny it, badly. Roni sends him a knowing look.

Dustin paused, looking down with a desperate look. "He missed me. He wanted to come home. I didn't know he was a Demogorgon, okay?" Dustin explained.

"Oh, so now you admit it?"

"Guys, who cares we have to go," Max urges.

"I care! You put the party in jeopardy! You broke the rule of law!" Lucas scolds.

"So did you!" Dustin screams back. "You told a stranger the truth." He shines the flashlight into Max's face. She winces at the sudden flash of light beaming into her eyes.

She scoffs. "A stranger?"

"You wanted to tell her, too!" Lucas says.

"But I didn't, Lucas, okay?"

Roni pulls her head back, internally groans. She sighs loudly and stomps in the middle of them. "Guys! Guys!" They go silent.

She looks at Lucas first. "Lucas, I know Dustin did something super stupid but your being a hypocrite here. You were a complete idiot, too," He folds his arms. "You put the party and Max's life in danger because you wanted to be friends with her. So you're not the innocent one here either." He looks away.

Roni turns to Dustin. "Dustin, you did do something stupid, don't even play dumb. Even though you didn't know Dart was a Demogorgon, you still hid it from us and lied. Lying did not and will not help, tell us the truth so we can hurry up and solve this problem and go home!" He glances down.

"Max, we don't know you as well. So please do not get offended if we call you a stranger. We want to be friends with you and be in our group. But you have to believe what we say, most of us," Roni looks at Dustin. "would not lie to you." She sighs.

"You both broke the rule of law. Dustin lied; and Lucas you told the biggest secret to someone we've known less than a week. So shake hands, forgive each other or I will beat both of you with a rock!"

Roni peers at both of them with knowing looks. They all glanced between each other. Lucas begins to hold out his hand and Dustin follows but Steve yelling broke them out of it. They whip their heads to see what he was looking at and began to follow him.

They trail the loud screeching sound and stop at the top of a hill, looking at the view. Lucas holds up his binoculars. "It's the lab. They were going back home," He says with a sad expression. Roni swallows hard.

"We're going down there, aren't we?" She asks, watching numbly at the lab.

"Yep," Steve answers.

Roni sighs deeply and hauls the ax over her shoulder. "Come on," She's the first one the walk forward. Dustin and Steve give each other looks, shrugging and start to walk with her.

Steve runs ahead as they stomp down the hill. They make it to the front of the gated fence and as the stop they see familiar faces.

"Steve?" Nancy and Jonathan says simultaneously.

"Nancy?" Steve and Roni chorus.

"Jonathan," Dustin says.

"What are you doing here?" Nancy asks. Steve asks the same question. "We're looking for Mike and Will." She answers.

"They're not in there, are they?" Dustin asked worriedly. Roni glances at the building meshing her lips together.

"We're not sure," She says. As she speaks a loud screeching from what they can assume are Demogorgon's fills the air. They all whip their heads in that direction. All the sounds are coming from the lab. The source of all the pain they've suffered.

They gather in a group to talk about what they've been through and Nancy steps away to notice that the lights from the lab comes on. "The power's back," She says. They run to the gate box to open it.

Jonathan presses the button but it doesn't open. Dustin pushes him out of the way and tries again. Suddenly, Dustin presses it one last time and the gate slides open. Jonathan and Nancy jump into the car and drive into the lab parking lot.

The rest waits impatiently for them to return. Car horns honking loudly, makes them rush to the side. Steve grabs Roni arm, pulling her away from the oncoming cars. Jonathan's car speeds away as Hoppers truck pulls up next to the group.

"Let's go!" Hopper orders. They pile into the truck and drive away.