C H A P T E R T W O

C H A P T E R   T W O
MADMAX

________________________________

The next day, Roni sat in the backseat as Steve drove to school. Herself, Steve, and Nancy. Nancy, as per usual, took Roni's usual spot. Since Will went missing, Steve has been driving Roni to and from school. Roni hated every minute. She was thirteen and she felt like she was old enough to ride her own bike to school, or at the very least take the bus.

But nevertheless, Steve insisted, wanting to protect his sister even at the risk of losing his cred. Even their parents supported this decision and thus, here she is, riding backseat with her brother and his girlfriend.

Though, since then, Roni and Nancy have gotten a lot closer. Roni realized how sometimes cool Nancy could be, but they still differ on many things. Although, now, they have an understanding of each other.

Nancy takes out a chapstick from her backpack and lays a layer on her lips. She turns to Steve and glides it on him as well. He rubs his lips together, mixing in the chapstick and keeps driving as if nothing happened.

"Okay, what you guys did there was seriously disgusting," Roni wrinkles her nose. Nancy chuckles at the young girl.

"You know, one day you're gonna do the same thing with your boyfriend," Nancy glances back at the young girl who twirls her blonde hair around her fingers.

"Uh, no, she's not. Roni's never having a boyfriend, ever. I'll make sure of that," Steve said adamantly, peering up through the mirror at the girl.

Nancy shakes her head at her boyfriend. "She's not gonna be a little girl forever, Steve," He sends her a playful glare.

Roni stays quiet throughout the whole conversation, twirling her long blonde locks around her finger, thinking. Thinking about boyfriends and dating, but crinkles her nose up in disgust of the thoughts running through her head.

Roni didn't want to be one of those girls who dreamed of her wedding. She was the one who dreamed of playing music at a concert for thousands of people. Not becoming a housewife.

It was a life that her mother or father pictured. Not even a job or enjoying life with her friends. No, her mother didn't want that. She wanted her children to marry and have more children until they can't anymore. But these are the 80's. Modern times need modern thoughts.

Steve drops Roni off at the middle school. As she shuts the car door he yells her name, she slowly turns around and frowns deeply. "If someone offers you a cigarette, what do you do?" He asks.

"Say thank you and take it," Roni smirks. He shoots her a disapproving look. Soon kids start giving her teasing looks, making her sigh loudly. "You take it and stomp it on the ground." She says begrudgingly. He nods approvingly and shoos her away.