C H A P T E R T E N

C H A P T E R   T E N
Consequences

C H A P T E R   T E NConsequences

__________________________

After Dustin explains what happened with Dart, the three sat in silence as Steve drives. Roni sits in the front seat with her arms crossed. Her shoulders were tense and everything few minutes she huffs. She was completely silent throughout his explanation which worried Dustin; a quiet Roni is a furious Roni.

"Wait a sec, how big?" Steve asks, still pulling in the information.

"First it was like that," Dustin pulls his fingers apart an inch. "Now he's like this." He opens his hands, pulling it wider apart. Dustin gulps and looks towards the girl in the front seat. "Roni?"

Roni blinks before shaking her head. "I still can't believe you kept him, Dustin. Dart is part of the upside down!" Roni yells. Dustin winces. "You looked me right in the eyes and lied. To the whole party! To me! I mean, h-how could you?"

"I know, I know, I'm sorry. We had a bond," Dustin spoke softly.

"Well, forget your bond! That thing is a Demogorgon, it eats people. It took Will to the Upside Down, remember?! Dart ate Mews! What's stopping it from eating an actual person?! Huh?" Roni turns around in her seat to look at him.

He looks down guilty. "I don't know," He mumbled.

Roni's eyes soften. "What you did was totally stupid and-and I'm really disappointed in you, Dustin. But..." She trails off. Dustin looks up. "I forgive you, Henderson. But you better not lie to me again." She turns around, frowning deeply. Dustin breathes a sigh of relief.

"I won't. I promise."

Roni nods.

*****

Once they make it to the Henderson house, Steve opens his truck to get his bat. Dustin looks at Roni, weaponless. "Uh, Roni, you can use a rake in my shed," He offers.

"No, thanks, I have the Terminator," She smiles. He furrowed his eyebrows.

"The Terminator?" Steve and Dustin chorus. Roni smirks and opens her backpack, pulling out her once fire engine red ax but has now been spray painted all black with silver painted along the sharp edge. She holds it up proudly.

Steve's eyes widen and holds up his hand towards the girl. "Whoa, whoa, whoa, why do you have that?"

"What? I had it last year. It helped defeat a Demogorgon, so if this thing can probably take down an adult, I'm sure it'll take care of a baby one." Roni grabbed a flashlight from the trunk and smiled at her ax.

"You had to name it the Terminator," Dustin comments, shaking his head.

The Terminator was her favorite movie ever. Roni has seen it at least a dozen times. The Party grew tired of it after the fifth time so she's started seeing it by herself. And each time, the excitement never died down.

"Yep," Roni popped the 'p' and grinned. Dustin returns the smile but it drops when he remembers what was in his cellar. They then head to the cellar where Dustin had trapped Dart. Steve walks to the door and listens in closely.

"I don't hear anything," Steve says.

"He's in there," Dustin speaks quietly. Steve pokes the red metal doors with the bat and backs away slightly and then hits it loudly. Nothing happens. No noise, sound, or anything.

Dustin opens the cellar doors and Steve looks down, staring at the stairs below. They shine the light down, looking at every inch. "He must be further down there. I'll stay up here in case he tries to escape," Dustin informs.

Steve and Roni look at him with a 'Really?' look. Roni shakes her head and turned to her brother. "If you see him, yell," Roni tells Steve, patting him on the back. He walks down the stairs quietly, making no sound. Roni and Dustin stand at the top of the stairs in anticipation.

"Steve?" Dustin calls out. "Steve, what's going on down there?" There was a silence and Dustin jumps with the flashlight suddenly shines in his face. Roni rolls her eyes.

"Get down here," Steve says seriously. Roni runs down the steps and Steve shines the light on a thing of slime that looks like a booger. He then points the flashlight at the hole in the wall where Dart escaped. Dart chewed, or clawed through bricks and piles of dirt.

"No way," Dustin whispers.