C H A P T E R T W E N T Y

C H A P T E R   T W E N T Y
No One Stood A Chance

C H A P T E R   T W E N T YNo One Stood A Chance

____________________________

Steve catches Roni as she climbs down. The rest of them drop down safely with the help of Steve. It was completely dark and unnaturally cold. It wasn't a normal winter cold but the shiver you get when someone is watching you.

"Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's this way!" Mike shouts.

"You're pretty sure, or you're certain?" Dustin asks.

Mike whips around. "I'm 100% sure. Just follow me and you'll know."

"I don't think so. Any of you little poops die down here, I'm getting the blame, especially you," He points to Roni. "Got it? From here on out, I'm leading the way. Come on, let's go." They follow quickly behind.

As they walk through the long tunnels, Max and Roni end up side by side. "This is still so crazy," Max says, shining a light on the ground.

"I know. I don't think I would've believed any of this unless I saw it. But El changed everything," Roni said.

"She doesn't like me very much." Max glances down sadly.

"El just...needs time to warm up to you. She doesn't trust a lot of people but I'm sure she'll really like you like I do," Max nods. "Hey, if it helps, you were super awesome tonight." Roni compliments. She smiles through the bandanna but Roni couldn't see it.

What looks like ash falls down from the ceiling of the tunnels. It was completely dark besides the flashlights the group brought. The mind flayer somehow created its own air supply. So, the air was probably toxic and it was extremely important that they do not breathe in the air.

They turn down another tunnel and glance around. "What is this place?" Max asks. Roni looks around, thinking if this was anything like the Upside Down. It seemed so lonely and dark here that she couldn't imagine how Will survived a whole week there.

"Guys, come on. Keep moving," Steve urged. The rest of them follow behind but Dustin stops and looks up. Roni glances backwards.

"Dustin, what're you doing?" She glimpses up to see a pulsating thing that suddenly releases toxic air into his face. He falls back, screaming. They come running to him.

"What happened? What happened?!" Steve yelled.

"It's in my mouth! Some got on my mouth!" Dustin screamed. He takes off his bandanna and spits out whatever fell in and starts coughing. He looks up "I'm okay." He says calmly.

They sigh in frustration. "Nice. Very nice," Steve says sarcastically.

"What an idiot," Max mutters. They all walk away except Roni. She watches him through the goggles. Roni sighs and holds out her gloved hand. Dustin peers between her hand and her covered face. He takes it happily, pulling up and dusts himself off.