C H A P T E R N I N E T E E N

The Babysitter

C H A P T E R   N I N E T E E NThe Babysitter

_____________________________

They drive off to the hole Hopper dug to distract the Demo-dogs from El. Was it a good plan? Yes. Was it an airtight plan? No. None of them were prepared if something goes wrong.

Max reeves down the road in her brothers car, speeding past every house. Roni feels her brothers movement. "Nancy?" He mumbles. Mike gives him a confused look.

Steve reaches up to touch his face, groaning. "No, don't touch it. Hey, buddy," Dustin smiles at him "It's okay. You put up a good fight. He kicked your butt, but you put up a fight. You're okay." Dustin says soothingly.

"Okay, you're gonna keep straight for half a mile, then make a left on Mount Sinai," Lucas informs Max.

"What's going on? Where's Roni?" Steve asks hoarsely.

"Here," Roni groans as her brother squishes her small frame on his large body. Steve had his head in Dustin's lap but his torso on Roni and his legs on Mike.

"Oh, my God," Steve starts to freak when he notices that Max was driving.

"Just relax. She's driven before," Dustin says calmly.

"Yeah, in a parking lot," Mike adds.

"That counts," Lucas counters. Steve began to move around. Roni winces.

"He's crushing me! Calm him down!" Roni yells. Max presses harder on the gas.

"Oh, my God. No! Whoa! Stop the car. Slow down. Stop the car!" Steve shouts.

"Stop crushing me!" Roni yells back.

"Everybody shut up! I'm trying to focus!" Max orders.

Lucas glances up from the map at the road. "Oh, wait, that's Mount Sinai. Make a left," Max runs into a mailbox and swerves abruptly, making everyone scream. She presses on the brake hard.

"I told you. Zoomer," Max spoke blankly. Mike's smirks slightly.

They file out of the car and Roni pushes Steve out, and opens the truck to gather their items. The party throws on the goggles and bandannas to cover their faces and noses.

"We are not going down there right now. I made myself clear. Hey, there's no chance we're going to that hole, alright?" Steve scolds them. Roni ties the bandanna around her face and picks up her ax. "This ends right now!" Steve takes whatever item Dustin was holding and slams it back into the trunk.

"Steve, you're upset, I get it. But the bottom line is, a party member requires assistance, and it is our duty to provide that assistance," Dustin grabs the stuff set aside for Steve. "Now, I know you promised Nance that you would keep us safe. So, keep us safe."

Roni shrugs. "We all need a babysitter," Steve sighs deeply and takes the backpack, he puts on his stuff and heads down into the hole. "Into the lions den." Roni whispers as she slides down.