C H A P T E R E I G H T E E N

The Big Fight

C H A P T E R   E I G H T E E NThe Big Fight

_____________________________

An hour later, Dustin throws out all the food from the Byers' icebox. Steve holds the wrapped up Demo-dog in his arms. "Is this really necessary?" Steve asks tiredly.

"Yes, it is, okay? This is a ground-breaking scientific discovery. We can't just bury it like some common mammal, okay? It's not a dog," Dustin stressed.

"Alright, alright, alright," Steve walks closer to the icebox. "But you're explaining this to Mrs. Byers, alright?" Steve struggles pushing the Demo-dog inside. He calls for Dustin's help. The two struggle pushing the beast in the refrigerator.

Roni leans on the counter, eating a packet of m&m's, watching. "Push from the legs, Steven," She says with a mouthful of chocolate.

"Can you help a little, Roni?" Steve said.

"I am, I'm the supervisor, now push," She smiles cheekily as he sighed frustratedly. They finally get the door shut. Steve rubs Dustin's hat head and walks away, glaring at Roni on the way, she sticks her tongue out. Dustin looks at Roni confusedly.

"Where'd you get the m&m's?" He points to the packet.

"Around." Roni shrugs and holds some out. He takes it gladly. They sit quietly munching on the chocolaty goodness. Dustin heard Mike say 'dogs' instead of the word he created and yelled.

"Demo-dogs!" He yelled. Mike rolls his eyes.

Roni nudges Dustin. "You tell him," She says teasingly, walking into the living room. He follows behind.

"Listen, dude, a coach calls a play in a game, bottom line, you execute it. Alright?" Steve explains, rubbing his slimey, Demo-dog covered hands on a towel.

"Okay, first of all, this isn't some stupid sports game. And second, we're not even in the game. We're on the bench," Mike tells him.

"So, my point is..." Steve starts. Roni raises an eyebrow. "Right, yeah we're on the bench, so, uh, there's nothing we can do." He spoke honestly. Roni pats him on the back.

"Great job," Roni chuckles.

"That's not entirely true. I mean, these Demo-dogs, they have a hive mind. When they ran away from the bus, they were called away," Dustin explains.

"If we get their attention..." Lucas begins.

"Maybe we can draw them from the lab," Max adds.

"Clear a path to the gate," Mike finishes. Roni nods along.

"Yeah, and they we all die!" Steve shouts.

Mike heads in the kitchen and points to a coloring taped on it. "This is where the chief dug his hold. This is our way into the tunnel. So," He walks back into the living room and stands on a large coloring. "you got all the tunnels feeding in here. Maybe if we set this on fire."