C H A P T E R T H I R T E E N

C H A P T E R   T H I R T E E N
The Duo

C H A P T E R   T H I R T E E N The Duo

________________________________

Steve steps testily on the grass, holding the bat tightly. Steve looks around as he moves closer and closer to the pile of meat. He begins to whistle as if calling for his lost dog. "Come on, buddy," Steve calls out. "Human tastes better than cat, I promise."

Somehow, Roni and Dustin's hands find each other. She clutches his hand as she watches her brother practically beg the Demogorgons to eat him. They both don't notice.

Max shakes her head. "He's insane."

"He's awesome," Dustin smiles.

"He's an idiot," Roni mutters with fearful eyes. As the fog fades it reveals Dart standing in front of Steve, watching him.

"Steve, watch out!" Lucas yells. Steve doesn't turn around. Roni looks to the side and sees more Demogorgon babies crawl up behind him. It was an ambush. She lets go of Dustin's hand and grabs the Terminator.

Noticing the girl not by his side, Dustin turns to Roni pulling her blonde hair up. "Roni, Roni, what're you doing?"

"Protecting my idiot brother," She says frankly, pulling the lever for the door. She runs out just as a Demogorgon pounces up off the car and opens his mouth towards Steve. Roni swings her ax and chop the head off the Demogorgon. It's guts fly off and some land on her face.

"Roni!? What're you doing here? Go back!" He yelled, trying to look between the Demogorgon in front of him and Roni behind him.

"No! I'm saving your butt, stupid!" Roni swings her ax around and stares at the two before her. The siblings stand back-to-back, gripping their respective weapons tightly. Dustin watches in awe of the siblings.

They both looked awesome, but in different ways. Steve in a brotherly, mentor way. And Roni in a way he couldn't describe. It reminded him of when she took on the Demogorgon the first time. The fire in her blue eyes inflamed as she stared down the beast with no hint of fear. To him, the sheer bravery shown by the short girl was amazing.

Suddenly, his heart beats wildly. His hands twitched. He couldn't describe this feeling. This was completely different than what he felt when he noticed Max. Maybe this was the electricity Steve was talking about. But realizing the danger the two are in, he opens the bus doors and yells. "Steve, Roni! Abort! Abort!"

Steve turns around for a moment as one of them charges at him, he pushes Roni out the way and rolls over the hood of the car. When one gets to close, Steve hits it with all his might and books it to the bus.

Roni follows closely behind as the Demogorgon's chase after them. Blood pumps through her body and she swiftly enters the bus as the monster tries to come in after. Steve takes a piece of metal and lays it in front.

The bus shakes with the hits from the Demogorgons. "Are they rabid or something?" Max shouts.

"They can't get in! They can't!" Lucas yells. Steve holds his feet against the door. Roni's eyes widen. Fear rises through and she says nothing. The bus continues to shake, making all of them scream. Dustin and Roni's hands find each other again, griping tightly.

Suddenly, a Demogorgon bursts through the broken bus door.

Steve hits it with the bat over and over again. Dustin tries to radio the rest of the party for help. A Demogorgon bangs it's head against the bus, Max screams.

"We're at the old junkyard, and we're going to die!" Dustin yells.

It suddenly goes quiet. Loud stomps comes from the top of the bus. It makes its way to the open hatch. A Demogorgon peaks its head and looks at Max with a growl. She screams in fear.

Steve pushes her out of the way and pokes his bat up. "You want some?! Come get this!" The Demogorgon screeches loudly at him, it stops, turning its head in another direction. It backs off and runs towards something. The bus shakes one last time, making Roni shut her eyes tightly.

They stay quiet for a moment. Roni opens her eyes to notice Max and Lucas gripping hands and when they realize, they let go. Steve slowly opens the doors and steps outside.

"What happened?" Lucas asked.

"I don't know," Max said.

"Steve and Roni scared 'em off?" Dustin wonders out loud. Roni looks down at Dustin hand holding her own. She lets go reluctantly. He stares at his hand for a moment and focuses his attention on the outside.

"No," Steve said. "They're going somewhere."

"And-and are we going to that somewhere?" Roni slowly steps out. Steve doesn't say anything, just looks around. "Of course we are." She says tiredly.

The rest of them step out of the bus, glancing around hesitantly. Someone nudges Roni shoulder making her flinch. Steve puts a comforting hand on her shoulder. "Good lookin' out."

Roni shrugs. "I told you...I got your back," She smiles slightly. And he returns it.

They all look at where the Demogorgons had run off and Steve begins to follow. Roni rolls her eyes and walks with him.

Fearing what lied ahead.