Always him

TONY POV

I'm such a fool. Why did I accepted his offer? Why do I agreed to act like we don't hold grudges anymore? Why?

Why am I so motivated to see him everyday and yet anger fills me up whenever I see him? Why do I become slightly concerned at the fact of him getting hurt? Why did I agree to this? I'm starting to think that I wasn't doing this for her, a question that I'm staring to ask myself:

Is it because of Pepper or is it because of him?

————————————————————————
THIRD PERSON POV

Tony started to fix his stuff as he saw an old box, making him smile. It contained him with memories of his bond with the avengers, Pepper, Happy, and everyone that he geniuinely cared for. He was smiling at all of the photos when he suddenly saw a photo of him and Stephen. It was the day when Stephen became drunk and they kissed. Tony felt his anger rising as he started to crumple the photo.

Spare me from memories of him

Tony clenched his teeth as he heard the door open, It was Pepper. His expression from murderous suddenly changed into an expression of softness.

"Hey Tony..." Pepper said in a gentle tone making Tony smile. He got up and kissed Pepper, not realizing the crumpled photo being released from his grip.

"Hi pep, what made you come here?" Tony asked, making Pepper shrug.

"I just wanted to check up on my future husband" Pepper spoke with cheerfulness. Unfortunately, it was different for Tony.

Right. I'm engaged.

Tony faked a smile as Pepper started to look at the photos.  Picking up a familiar photo, she smiled.

"Look here, isn't this the day that you asked me to be your girlfriend?" She chuckled as she proudly held the photo with both hands. Tony laughed, knowing that he did a lot just for Pepper to say yes.

Thank God for Pepper, Tony started to forget about Stephen. He started to get out from his depressed cycle of life ever since Stephen remembered everything. She helped him get out of his misery and because of her, Tony was healed.

But he was never completely happy.

"Once a broken man, always a broken man" he whispered to himself so that Pepper wouldn't hear him. They looked at the photos and Pepper smiled with memories of them.

She was lucky to have Tony.

"Thank you for coming to my life" Tony smiled as he pecked Pepper's cheek.

"Anytime" She returned the kiss, making Tony feel all giddy inside.

And Tony was lucky to have her.

They continued talking about the past until Steve barged in the room.

"Sorry to ruin your moment but Tony needs to go to the meeting" Steve sighed as Tony looked at Pepper. She smiled and signaled him to follow Steve.

"I'm sorry" Tony looked with an apologetic smile as he and Steve went out. Pepper continued to look at the photos until she saw the crumpled photo.

————————————————————————

"I called you all to discuss important matters. Hella went to New York and fortunately, her targets all evacuated here" Nick Fury said as Sam and Scott had a sigh of relief.

"And your point is?" Tony asked, breaking the silence that was making the atmosphere tense.

"My point is that she might find a way to track us here" Nick Fury said as it became silent again. After a few seconds, Natasha started to speak.

"What are we gonna do now?" Natasha asked as Fury was into deep thought, the others trying to think of some way one how to put her down.

"Then we distract her" Stephen started to speak about his suggestions, making the others nod.

"And how are we gonna able to distract her?" Tony asked as Stephen ignored him. It was bothering Tony, Stephen would be the one who annoys him every day. But now, it was just...different. The silence was suddenly broken when Stephen started to speak.

"You're a genius right? Go figure it" He said with a furious look on his face and he left, making the avengers' jaws drop.

"Huh, did that scumbag just-" Tony scoffed as his expression changed from serious to shocked. He started to look at the others who looked like their system was broken.

What is this asshole trying to do?!

Tony clenched his fists as he started to storm out of the room, running his way to Stephen and gripping his wrist.

"Talk." Tony looked at him with an expression full of hate. Stephen smiled as he shrugged his wrists off of the latter's hands.

"Why would we? You told me that you don't want to have any relation with me, I'm just doing you a favor-" Stephen asked with sarcasm. Tony punched him in the face as he noticed that Stephen's nose started to bleed.

"You don't know how much I wanted you out of my life" Tony gritted his teeth as he left, while Stephen looked at him with a sad expression.

Please don't go

————————————————————
Tony entered the room with a sigh. He saw Pepper still looking at the photos as he kissed her on the cheek. He was shocked when Pepper avoided it.

"What's wrong?" Tony asked with concern as Pepper shakily showed the crumpled picture from her hands.

"You kept this picture?" Pepper asked as her eyes started to glisten, making Tony worried.

"I'm sorry...I didn't mean to" Tony started to look at the ground as he knew guilt was eating him up.

That picture was the thing Pepper hated the most. It reminded her of Tony that night, when he was drunk and crying as he was holding that photo in his hand like it was the only thing that kept him alive...

...And Pepper asking him if he'd choose between her and Stephen.

And up to this day, it hurts because she knows that his answer will always be the same.

"I'd choose him. Always."