one.

UPDATE JULY 7TH 2021:
i've uploaded a new maeve book on my account that, in my opinion, has better writing and a better storyline, so go read it if you want.
__________
panic.

the word that could best describe my feelings right now is panic.

it was the start of a new school year, which was obviously bad enough, but i would also be starting this year at a completely new school in a completely new country, to be exact.

my parents and i moved here from minnesota in the summer and now i'm forced to go to a new school, as if making friends wasn't
already hard enough for me back in america.

as i got off my bike, i noticed people around me already beginning to stare. granted, this town was little so there probably weren't a lot of new faces around here often. still, i didn't really like the attention, especially when some girls and a boy that were sitting in a black car were already giving me dirty looks.

i haven't even said a word to a single one of them yet and i'm pretty sure they already hate me.

suddenly the two boys walking in front of me with their bikes at their sides stopped for whatever reason. the one with the dark skin and the fancy shoes seemed to be really excited about something the guy sitting in the black car said. i think i heard them call him 'anwar' or something of that sort.

not wanting to be late and pull even more attention onto myself unnecessarily, i tried to walk past them, but the unusually long one with the big babyblue helmet stepped to the side, causing me to crash into him.

"oh i'm so sorry!", he spoke with an english accent and i already wanted this conversation to end. i didn't, like, hate english accents or anything, but i knew that once they heard my american one they would start asking question which i didn't really want to answer.

"you're fine," i spoke with a small smile and the overly excited one of the both gasped. "oh my god! you're new here, right?" - "yeah. is it that obvious?", i asked, more to be friendly than actually caring.

"i mean, we don't really get new people here often, so yeah. this is otis and i'm eric," he introduced with an extravagant bow and i smiled a little. "evie," i answered shortly.

"do you maybe wanna come with us? so you're not, like, alone or anything," otis, as i've learned, offered and i accepted of course, because nothing's worse than being the lonely one, right?

i walked with them silently, which was fine for all of us as it appeared, because neither of them asked me any questions but i knew that they still wanted to include me by letting me walk in the middle.

"is that tom baker?", otis asked once we walked past a couple that was aggressively making out and eric began to drop information about him like a bomb. "yup. captain of the warhammer society, his balls finally dropped." then he continued: "i keep telling you man, everyone has had sex over the summer. everyone, except you." - "and you," otis corrected, to which eric scoffed in offense.

"excuse me, i gave two and a half handjobs to that guy i met in butlin's."

"why the half?" i asked, finally deciding to include myself into the conversation a little.

"we got interrupted," he explained and then rolled his eyes a little, "stupid surprise karaoke."

otis smiled before mocking eric by saying: "still, not exactly a player." eric didn't seem bothered by that, because he had a way better comeback.

"yeah, at least i can touch my own penis." with that, the conversation was over and we all parked our bikes at the bike racks.

i was struggling with my lock while the other two, or mainly eric, were talking about shagging. when i tuned back into the conversation eric explained to otis that everything was changing fast, whatever he meant by that. probably still something about otis not being able to jerk off. i already miss america. who talks this intensely about 'shagging' and jerking off? did girls just not do that or were these two just exceptionally weird?